Chapter 8: Normal Boy

Start from the beginning

I smiled warily wondering if it was okay to get the job when the manager wasn't very happy with me. The lady owner though smiled at me and congratulated me. She said I could start work immediately and that the guy who was doing the cashier job now would train me for three days by which time I was to learn everything. She told me it would be simple to learn. I smiled back at her as I was told I would get 15 dollars an hour. That sounded good. Smiling to myself, I returned back to my seat to find my pizza had gone completely cold. Just as I sat down, Levi came over to me.

"What are you doing here?" He asked me.

I smiled, thinking he had probably seen me talking to the manager since I had been standing there for a while.

"I came here to find a job and I got it." I told him proudly, thinking he didn't need to know everything that had happened to make me come to his workplace. He frowned at that and asked me to explain.

"Don't you have work? I will explain it later. I intend to stay here today until you finish, so that I could learn from the guy who is being replaced." I told him. Levi shrugged looking at me suspiciously. But he left when someone called his name. I smiled as I finished my lunch and then went over to the guy at the counter. It was my lucky day that the owner and manager were around when I came in. I spent the rest of the day with the guy at the counter, who was an international student studying in a nearby university. We talked and I got introduced to all the staff who were working. They all welcomed me. Some were outgoing and some just shrugged at the introduction. I guess, job or not, people always behaved like they do.

Soon, Levi came and told me he was leaving. I told the others that I lived in the same building as Levi and so I used him for transport. The girls said they were envious of me. But I ignored it. They didn't need to know same building meant same room. I bet their looks would incinerate me if they knew that was the case. A girl who worked here named Melissa had apparently told everyone that Levi was hers. She had red hair and looked really pretty. I wished her good luck and I probably meant that.

Going back home, I learned from Levi that he had come in to fill for another guy's shift. Usually school goers shifts were from 3pm to 9pm on school days. On other days there was a shift from 9am to 3pm and 3pm to 9pm. Levi usually took the morning shifts on non-school days because people didn't want to work in the morning on those days. He worked five days at the pizza restaurant, which was a small authentic Italian pizza place owned by an Italian. Apparently it was the lady owner who recruited Levi for the job as well and the manager, named Jeff didn't like Levi either because of his juvie history.

As Levi's motorbike rolled into the apartment block's parking area, I fidgeted nervously behind him, looking around for the guys who had come after me. Thankfully they were not there. I hoped I wasn't endangering Levi in anyway by not telling him about what had happened. This was Osher's gang guys' fault. They wouldn't dare hurt Levi because Osher treats Levi like his own brother. Everyone in school knows that.

I didn't dismount even when Levi parked his motorbike for fear that any of them were around. Levi touched my hand around his torso and that's when I realized I had very comfortably wrapped my arm around his torso and was holding onto him quite tightly. I let go immediately and dismounted his bike. We both walked in silence to his room as Levi said he had to get a double key prepared for me. I opened the door since I had the key. Levi glared at me when he saw I didn't turn off the lights or the heater in the room.

"Who do you think pays these bills? If you aren't here, at least learn to turn them off." He scolded as he went in. I glared at him. Such a scrooge! I thought with a roll of my eyes. He's such a normal guy I guess. I thought his life would be pretty exciting, dealing drugs, smoking and getting into fights.