Necessary

"Oh, great," Lauren grumbled when someone else entered the cafe, and when I'd recovered from my laughing fit at something she'd said, I looked over my shoulder at the group of people at the door.

"Just ignore them," I told Lauren after recognising some of them as part of the werewolf pack. I turned back to her and held her hand over the table, and she smiled slightly and looked out of the window.

Ignoring them, however, proved to be difficult when they sat at the table that was beside us and kept throwing insults at my girlfriend.

"Look what the cat dragged in."

"This is wolf territory, you leech."

"You good-for-nothing blood-sucker should've died centuries ago."

"How disgusting, taking your prey out to eat before you drink her dry?"

"You should be ashamed of yourself."

I took a deep breath and turned to face the leering assholes.

"Excuse me." I interrupted as one of them opened their mouth again, a girl with short black hair and dark brown eyes, "I know there's some sort of ridiculous feud thing between you and Lauren, but is it really necessary right now?" I asked sarcastically, and a boy with dirty blonde hair scoffed.

He then had the nerve to ask me, "What's your problem?"

"My problem," I began, "is that I'm just trying to enjoy a date with my girlfriend, which we haven't been able to do thus far because you jackasses kidnapped her and kept threatening us both, so if you'd be so kind as to shut your gobs for five seconds, that would be fantastic."

"You're dating that creature?" The girl from before made a disgusted face, and I narrowed my eyes at her. I felt Lauren tug at my hand and tell me to calm down, but I wasn't having it today.

"If anyone's a 'creature' here, it's you." I quipped, and the entire table of wolves instantly rose to their feet and glared down at me. I wasn't scared, though. They wouldn't do anything to me because then they'd have to deal with the girls. So I stood up to, squaring up to one of the younger men, one with long brown hair.

"Y/n, just leave it." Lauren tried as she stood beside me. I felt a wave of something soothing run through me and knew it was her, but it diminished too quickly. I moved my hands to push against the boy's chest but she quickly caught them and pulled them away.

"Leave it." She tried again, looking into my eyes this time. Hers flashed a different color and I nodded, feeling myself slowly calm down as I sank back into my seat.

Lauren sent looks to all of the people still standing and slowly, they began to sit down too.

"Nothing is ever simple with you, is it?" I questioned breathily as she moved to sit beside me, between myself and the table of werewolves who, thankfully, stopped their muttering.

"No, but we'll get through it." She answered with a small grin, and I offered one in return as I rested my head on her shoulder and took a breath from eating.

"Sorry I did that, babe." I apologised with a kiss on the neck, and she nodded and put one on my forehead.

"It's okay." She sighed and wrapped an arm around me, "I understand... and, uh, I know we haven't really spoken about it but you don't have to feel trapped or obligated to stay with me even though I'm bonded to you." She said so quietly I wasn't sure what she was saying.

"I... Lauren, I don't." I reassured her, "I'd never want to leave you anyway, I love-"

I was interrupted by a loud bang and looked up and over my shoulder to see two people I really didn't want to see: the Alpha and Camila.

"Shit." Lauren hissed and looked at me with panicked eyes.

"What is it?" I asked quickly, keeping track of the intimidating man in my peripheral vision.

"They were right. Even though this is in another realm, it's technically still on wolf territory. We- I'm not supposed to be here, and the Alpha just caught me."

Shit, indeed.

"Not yet." I pointed out, watching as the man headed to a bar I hadn't noticed before, and sat down, Camila following close behind. Why is she always at his side?

"We're not looking for trouble." I heard a small voice say and recognised it as the ghostly boy who'd served us.

"Laur, we've already paid. We can just leave and drive out of here, right?" I asked under my breath so as not to alert the wolves to my makeshift plan.

"I- maybe." Lauren considered it for a moment before getting out of her seat and pulling me along behind her, leading me successfully towards the door until- the Alpha clicked his fingers and the table of wolves sprang into action, two of them blocking the doorway and others grabbing my and Lauren's arms, holding them behind our backs. We shared a panicked look before I felt more hands cover my eyes and mouth.

"Lauren!" I tried to call out, but it was muffled by the hand. I heard a scuffle at my side and assumed it to be my girlfriend fighting back, but then I was being led out of the cafe and a breeze curled around me. Why did nobody stop them? Why did nobody help us?

A harsh kick to the backs of my knees sent me falling to the ground, the arms following me down. Then I was tied, gagged, and blindfolded and lifted from the dusty floor, and placed back down on something cold, like metal. I tried to wiggle free but it was no use, and when I let out another muffled call for Lauren, there was no response. An engine started up somewhere and I knew I was moving, but I didn't know where.

Damn, nothing is simple with her at all.

Sorry for the wait! I've had a whole lot going on in my life (trust me) and my mental health had to come before my writing for a while. I should be back now, though I'm either at school or not at home and the WiFi suuuucks where I spend most of my time, and I mostly use it for reading since I haven't been getting as much inspiration for writing lately.

Long story short, slow updates will be likely, unfortunately.

Hope you're all doing well!