Hallucinogens

Lauren's POV

"No, Y/n I - it was a nightmare, you had a nightmare, that's all. You fell asleep on the sofa and, and you started talking and thrashing about in your sleep so we tried to wake you up. Y/n, I didn't bite you." I defended myself again but this time her eyes went wide and she stumbled backwards quickly, almost falling over on multiple occasions.

She really was terrified of me, and it hurt - a lot. I even actively tried to calm her down through noetic control but it didn't seem to have much of an effect.

"Lauren, can't you just-" Dinah began but I already knew what she was going to say and the distraction wasn't helping much.

"I'm fucking trying." I snapped quietly as I continued to regard the panicking girl, willing her to slow her breathing. Then, as she began to look about the room as though the walls were closing in on her, I thought of something.

"Ally," I turned to face the girl who didn't take her eyes from Y/n, "You were the last one to see her before she fell asleep, right?" She nodded, "What happened?"

"I- I just gave her some tea and we were talking and... oh, you told her about the bond, didn't you? You think you two are bonded?" She smiled at the realisation and I shook my head.

"Not important... I'll tell you later. Just- tea? I thought we ran out yesterday?"

"And that is important?" Dinah asked sassily and I put my hand up to silence her, to which she muttered "Bitch."

"Oh yeah, the wolves brought some around. Very nice of them." Ally grinned again and I snapped back around to look at poor Y/n who was cowering from us all on the floor, eyes darting between us but mostly staying on me. Slowly, so as to not startle her further, I inched my way towards her with my hands out to show her I meant no harm. That still didn't stop her from backing further against the kitchen cabinet, though.

Small whimpers reached my ears as she looked from my hand to my mouth and back again repeatedly, and as inhuman as I was, tears pricked at my eyes.

"Y/n, it's alright." I tried to calm her again, with gentle hushes as I lowered down to be eye level with her, and then a little lower so I was looking at her neck. One deep sniff and I could smell what was wrong, which I hated because it made me feel like a damn werewolf but that wasn't important right now.

"Hallucinogens." I stated simply and returned to a standing position, looking to the other girls, "I don't know when it'll wear off but it's obviously from the tea. We need to keep her safe until it does."

"We could put her in the cellar?" Normani suggested and I looked down at the girl who was glaring at me now and nodded.

"Someone take her down there." I instructed and moved to sit back on the sofa as Dinah sprang into action, "She won't trust me."

"Hey, she'll be okay." Ally reassured me with a hand on my shoulder as she sat beside me.

I rested my forearms on my legs and hung my head, leaning forwards a little.

"Yeah, if she isn't completely scarred by the thought that I bit her."

Then another thought came to me: "Why would the wolves want to drug her?"

"Was it even meant for her?" Ally pointed out and I looked up at her like she's stupid because that kind of was.

"They gave tea to a bunch of vampires, Ally." I returned and she just gave a small 'oh yeah' before falling back into thought.

"They're obviously still not happy about the revised truce." Dinah said as she came back from the cellar and I instantly looked up at her.

"Is she okay?" I asked and received a nod which helped me calm down a little.

"She's fine... sorta. You know, besides the whole seeing things that aren't there thing..." The tallest tried to reassure me but didn't do that great of a job. I respected that she attempted it, though.

"This is my fault." I muttered, "If I'd had just not have gotten out that day she'd be fine, she wouldn't even know about any of us."

"Lauren, don't say that." One of the girl's said but I wasn't sure who. I was too focused on the fact that I was telling the truth. And I realised that I must've been right before because I'm pretty darn sure I'd do anything to keep that girl safe, no matter the cost.

"Ally, what do you actually know about bonds?"

...
Y/n POV

"Guys?" My voice came out hoarse as I woke up, only to be met with the dark. A faint memory of something terrifying hit me, but the faintness of it told me it must've been a dream and I brushed it off.

"Guys!" I tried again after clearing my throat. As I got to my feet, my eyes began to adjust to the room which was lit only by the light which leaked around the door and I realised I was back in the cellar, but I wasn't as scared as I might have expected to be.

A shuffling outside of the door made me jump at first but then I felt my way around the dark room until I reached the heavy wood blockading the entrance.

"You left her in the fucking dark?" I heard Lauren say on the other side and instantly relaxed, knowing I was safe.

"Laur," I grinned and she opened the door for me but seemed a little uneasy, so I frowned, "Are you okay?"

"Are you okay?" She replied and I nodded wearily, wondering why I wouldn't be.

"Are you tired?" She asked with a slight tilt of her head downwards, reminding me of when I'd seen her the first day of school.

I thought for a moment before coming up with an answer, and it came out in the form of another clumsy nod.

She chuckled a little as I stumbled out of the cellar and ended up falling into her, but she caught me.

"Is this you?" I asked, referring to my tired state, and she kissed the top of my head, or maybe I was already asleep again by then. It was hard to tell.