Chpt. 19 - Playing Hooky

"We should skip school today." Connor proposed.

Evan was amazed by this sudden rebellion Connor had demonstrated. Though, little did Evan know that Connor had actually skipped school before... To smoke, get drunk, wander the streets aimlessly... But, he hadn't skipped with another person, let alone someone he had held deep affection for.

"I-I don't know if that's such a good idea." Evan responded, wanting to keep his attendance in the perfect category. He wasn't sure his mother would notice, because she was always at work or going on dates with her new boyfriend who she seemed to want to spend all of her time with. Of course, Evan was furious with his mother for never being home, but he also knew that it wasn't something she could help.

She needed to support herself and Evan, so neither of them had much of a choice in the matter. Heidi wasn't sure Evan would be able to handle a job on top of school, because of his anxiety and nervous nature. He took medication to numb it for a bit, but that didn't mean it wasn't still there.

"C'mon... We could go to your house... Your mom's not home, right?" Connor didn't want to make Evan do anything he wasn't comfortable with, but that clashed with his hopes to get the two of them entirely and utterly alone.

"She's at work... So- I mean- I guess we could skip, but just for today, okay? I don't want to make this a, uh- a routine."

So the two decided to venture to Evan's empty house, it was half past eleven in the morning...

"Evan? Connor? Why aren't you two at school? What's going on here?" An unexpected person walked out of the front door, Heidi, her hair was pulled back and she was wearing her nursing scrubs. She donned a confused expression on her face. "Wait... Are you two skipping?" She inquired. The confusion was now mixed with disappointment. "Connor... I think you need to go on home. Evan, come on inside."

Connor kissed Evan goodbye, then wandered off back down the street, looking worriedly behind him as Evan entered his house with Heidi following in beside him.

"Evan. Are you kidding me? I don't think you need to be seeing Connor anymore. Not if he's going to be getting you into trouble like this."

Evan was taken aback by his mother's words. "What? But, I love Connor!"

"Evan... You're young. You don't even know what love is, yet."

"And you do?"

"Evan... Yes, I do. Manipulating you into skipping out on your education isn't love, honey."

"Well, if you're not here... Why does it matter where I am? Or-or what I'm doing?"

Heidi furrowed her eyebrows. "Because I'm your mother! I know you more than that boy does, or at least... I thought I did."

"What? What do you know about me? You don't know anything about me! You never even see me!"

"Hey, I am trying my best!"

"At least he doesn't think there's something wrong with me! That I-I need to be fixed, like you do..."

"Okay, wait!"

"No! I have to go to therapy! Take drugs, and-and- I'm such a burden! I'm the worst thing that's ever happened to you! I ruined your life, so-"

"You are the only- the one good thing that's ever happened to me, Evan! Sorry I can't give you anything more than that! Shit..." Heidi began to tear up, her voice wavering.

"Well... It's not my fault that Connor can."

Heidi took one last look at him, before exiting the house, slamming the door shut behind her.

Evan ran to his room, stomping all the way there, tears streaming down his face. He couldn't believe what he had just said to his own mother... The anger... sadness... fear... It all overtook him, making him into a completely different person, hurting the one family member who loved and cared about him.

His phone began to ring, halting his thoughts. It was Jared.

"Yo, Ev! You good? I just saw your mom storm out of your house. She looked pissed."

"Why do you care?"

"Because... We're friends."

"Yeah? Well, maybe we shouldn't be!"

"Evan. What the hell is your problem?"

"You. And my mom... And-and everyone with thinks Connor and I shouldn't be together!"

"I never said that!"

"No, but I can see that you don't like him. You think he's a bad influence, just like my mom does!"

"I think you need to remember who your friends are."

"I thought the only reason you even talked to me was because of your car insurance."

"Dude, I thought we were past this! I apologized!"

"Apologies only go so far... Maybe the only reason you even talk to me now is because you don't have any other friends!"

"I could tell everyone about you and Connor!"

"Well, why don't you go ahead and do that!? Everyone already knows anyway! So who would care? No one! No one cares!"

"Fuck you, Evan! Asshole!"

Evan heard a loud slam on the other end and then an abrupt click, signaling the end of the phone call. Evan threw a pillow over his tear-soaked face.

What was wrong with him?

Why was he doing this?