Chpt. 11 - No Matter What

Jared had kept his word, not telling a soul about what he had seen the day before. Connor still had his doubts because he was sure he'd eventually let the secret slip to Alana or even his sister, Zoe. If it ever got out to Zoe about the situation before them, then it would be entirely out of Connor's and Evan's hands.

It was nearing towards the end of the week and Connor and Evan were attempting to spend less time together in front of other people so as to lower everyone's suspicions. They agreed to only see each other in the computer lab after school and at Evan's house on the weekends. They both decided Connor's house was no longer safe.

They both currently sat in the computer lab, sitting very close to each other, their thighs touched. Jared peered inside, latching onto the door handle, eyes squinting. "Figured this was why you two always came in here alone." He spoke, then he walked inside. Evan wanted him to leave. This was his and Connor's time, he wasn't going to let Jared ruin the small amount of time they had together just because he knew about their relationship.

"Can you just...leave? I don't understand why you're here." Connor spoke up on behalf of Evan, feeling the sudden tension in the room. He put a hand on Evan's thigh, assuring him he didn't have to be anxious about Jared as long as he was there. Jared made himself comfortable in a nearby rolly chair. "Yeah, I don't think so. Unless... You want me to tell everyone about you two? Because, I definitely could." Jared sneered. Evan frowned. "Are you threatening us? Tell them, then! Go on! We don't care." Evan stood up, face to face with Jared now. Connor jumped up to his feet, getting in between the two, worrying a physical fight was about to ensue. Connor loved Evan, but he wasn't sure he'd be able to take Jared in a fight.

Jared chortled. "Alright, then. If you say so..." He peered at Connor and Evan over the rim of his glasses, then he left. And with that... Evan and Connor had to leave as well. "He wasted our time!" Evan bellowed, completely tense. Connor could understand why Evan was so angry, but he didn't think being so tense was good for him. He put both hands on either of Evan's shoulders, gently squeezing.

"It's okay. You know what? If he's going to tell everyone anyways, then it doesn't matter if we walk home together today, does it?" Evan could agree with this. He intertwined his fingers with Connor's, then they walked to Evan's house, hand in hand, completely content.

Nothing mattered anymore.

The dirty looks they were getting from passersby surely didn't matter either, the both of them smiled, waltzing down the street. It felt nice to show each other off to complete strangers. If Connor could yell to the rooftops his love for Evan Hansen, he would've, but he didn't want to scare Evan too much. They made it to Evan's house, noticing that Evan's mother wasn't home, but he would just have to wait for her to return to explain to her about his feelings for Connor and hopefully Connor would be with him through it.

They hung out in the living room, Connor's legs wrapped around Evan's waist as he sat motionless on the floor. The only movement Evan exhibited was his chest falling and rising from taking air into his lungs. "Should I-I, uhm, tell my mom, Connor? I mean, what'll she say? I'm so scared. What if she kicks me out or something? I don't-" Connor shushed Evan by climbing off the couch and pressing his lips to Evan's.

Those lips.

Oh, man, those lips.

Those lips were enough to make the world stop spinning.

All of Evan's worries seemed to dissipate into nothingness, and he cupped Connor's cheeks into his hands with their lips pressed so tightly together. They finally broke away and Evan instantly felt miles better than what he had seconds before. "Thanks... I needed that." Connor patted his shoulder. "Oh, I know." He stifled a chuckle. "But, anyways, if she kicks you out... You can stay with me and my family. And, well... If I get kicked out, we can stay at our place." Their place was the treehouse and Evan knew exactly what he meant.

"Wait. Who's getting kicked out?" Connor and Evan turned their heads to see Evan's mother back on break, standing in the doorway to the living room. Her hair was done up in a bun and she was still wearing her medical scrubs from work. "What's going on?" She tilted her head, obviously confused. It took a moment for both Connor and Evan to realize that they were still wrapped around one another. They slowly pulled away, then they stood up, heading for Heidi, Evan's mother. She eyed them suspiciously. "Is there something you boys want to tell me?" She inquired. Evan took Connor's hand into his. "Mom..." Heidi laughed.

Why was she laughing? Evan and Connor had no clue, they just tightened their hold on each other's hand. "I think I know what this is about... Honey, I already know." She delicately placed a hand on Evan's shoulder, a knowing smile plastered on her face. She knew. All this time, she knew but never said a word. "You know..." Evan murmured.

Heidi nodded. "I knew about a month ago. Anyways, I love you no matter what Evan. You know that, right? I'd never disown you for something you can't control. Just don't do drugs." She pecked Evan on the forehead, then left the house, her break officially over.

"I wonder if my parents know, too." Connor chuckled, but he seriously doubted it. His parents weren't too keen on anything that happened to be going on in Connor's head, let alone his love life. It would take some convincing for his parents and sister, but he knew everything would work out. Evan would be willing to come with him, he hoped. "Tomorrow... We'll tell my parents, right? You'll be with me, yeah?"

Evan mashed his lips against Connor's pale cheek. "Of course."