Chpt. 7 - Quiet Night

The next day Evan and Connor walked down the school hallway side by side, chatting away. Jared and Alana walked in front of the pair, causing the duo to stop what they were doing.

"Can we help you?" Connor asked, trying to walk around them, but Jared refused to allow him. "Look, you two. I'd just like to apologize." Jared began.

"What, daddy not paying your car insurance?" Connor quipped. Jared grew red in the face, then tried to sock Connor in the stomach, but an administrator had walked by, signaling for Jared to come with him. Evan and Connor entered the computer lab, continuing to talk.

"You could've been a little nicer..." Evan said. Connor just shrugged.  "So could he." Connor had no use for Jared, and knew that Jared was only faking an apology to get back in Evan's good graces, but that couldn't happen. Connor felt as if Evan needed time and space away from Jared because all he had done was hurt him. It was no secret that Connor was beginning to grow romantically drawn towards Evan, but Evan seemed to have no clue despite the obvious signs. Connor had to internally restrain himself from holding Evan's hand as they walked or did anything for that matter.

The both of them were head over heels mad for each other, but were blinded by their own fears.

Connor was afraid that Evan would abandon him if he found out he were gay.

Evan had never felt so attracted to another male before, and it was harrowing for him.

The two sat in each other's blissful company, chatting away as the minutes had gone by. "What do you think is gonna happen to Jared?" Evan questioned. "He'll probably get expelled. This school has a no tolerance policy for violence." Connor responded. Evan felt kind of bad for Jared, so he decided to text him... To maybe see if he was okay.

Evan: Jared. Did you get reprimanded?

Jared: lol, why do u care?

Evan slid his phone into his pocket. He'd answer Jared's text later, but for right now... He wanted to get lost in Connor's ocean blue eyes. Connor's hair used to be unkempt and never appeared to have been brushed, but recently Connor had taken care of it. His hair was now calm and fell against his shoulders in straight waves. Evan liked how Connor was beginning to take better care of himself, it gave him the motivation to want to do the same. Evan reached for his phone, but then he had come to a sudden realization. "Connor. I don't have your number." He said.

The pair traded numbers, becoming happier now that they could talk outside of school. Connor wasn't sure he'd ever have the privacy to even have a conversation with Evan over the phone because of his family, but an attempt wouldn't hurt. Before heading out of the school, Connor stopped Evan. "Maybe we could go to my house this time?" He asked. Evan vigorously nodded, then they headed that way.

Evan was excited to finally be meeting Connor's parents after weeks of thinking what they must be like. Evan was well aware of Zoe Murphy, but had yet to know anything else about Connor's family. He was a bit secretive when it came to his parents which concerned Evan. 'What if his parents were abusive?' Evan thought to himself as they made it to Connor's house. That actually wasn't true. Connor's parents were far from perfect, but they definitely weren't abusive.

Connor's parents, Cynthia and Larry Murphy opened the front door accompanied by Zoe. The three of them greeted the two boys, but didn't say much of anything afterwards. "Is he staying for dinner?" Zoe inquired as Connor steered Evan to his bedroom. "If he wants to. Now leave us alone." Connor responded, closing the door in Zoe's face, ignoring her protests for him to open it back up. "Sorry about her. She's annoying." Evan didn't mind one bit. He couldn't understand why Connor was being rude to Zoe, but he assumed it was just a sibling rivalry thing. Evan didn't have any siblings so he wasn't sure how they were supposed to react to each other. Connor lay sprawled out on his bed, looking up at the ceiling. "I'll understand if you want to leave." He said, eyeing Evan from his spot on his bed. Evan shook his head. "What, no! I don't wanna leave. I could stay a minute longer before I have to...leave." Evan couldn't bear to leave Connor's side.

Connor was filled with a sudden warmth, happy that Evan wasn't sick of him yet... Happy because Evan didn't completely despise his family. He noticed however that Evan seemed to know Zoe and he wondered if they were friends once upon a time, but quickly brushed the thought aside remembering what Evan had told him. 'I've never had a friend before.' Connor sat up, then patted the spot beside him, motioning for Evan to sit down. Evan did as Connor had asked.

"Are you sure you don't want to stay for dinner?" Connor asked, not wanting Evan to leave, but knowing Evan had to get home before his mom got off work. Evan stood up, wishing he could stay. "I, uh, wish I could, but my mom will be really worried." He said, but Connor had grabbed him by the wrist. Evan looked back at him, completely and utterly confused. "Before you go... One thing I need to tell you." Connor leapt up and came face to face with Evan... They were so close that their noses nearly touched, but they didn't move an inch. "Evan..." Connor began... "Thanks for coming over." That wasn't at all what Connor wanted to say, but it would have to do.

He wanted to pour his heart out to Evan, explaining just how much he truly loved him and how he wished he could always be near him. Connor could feel his chest tightening up and he felt as if he were about to explode. Evan smiled... Connor was drawn in even more than before, getting lost in his short, half-grin. When he looked at Evan, it was like time and space ceased to exist... All that Connor noticed was Evan, only Evan.

Evan hugged Connor, then left his house, leaving a love-struck Connor behind.

The moon glowed ominously onto Evan as he walked down the street.