Chpt. 10 - A Secret Amongst Three

Jared stood before the two lovesick boys, his glasses shined as the sun glinted off of the lenses. He didn't appear to be too surprised to find Connor and Evan together. He more or less seemed to be glad to have caught them in their current predicament. "Jared... Uhm, it's not-" Evan murmured, giving Connor a nervous glance. Jared wouldn't let him finish. "I know what you're gonna say. It's not what I think? Oh, please." Jared stepped closer into the light, his lips turned up into a sly smirk. Evan knew what that smirk meant... Jared was up to something. He was probably going to end up blackmailing Evan and/or Connor, he couldn't let it happen. Connor crossed his arms, giving Jared a menacing glare. "What do you want, Jared?"

Jared didn't say anything, he just stared at the two boys from across the treehouse, not moving a muscle. Evan was struck with two conflicting thoughts. He wanted Jared to tell the world about his relationship with Connor because he knew it's what Connor wanted, but he was also afraid of what people would do or say to him, to Connor... He couldn't bear the thought of Connor getting hurt or even more bullied than he was before. Just last week, he had witnessed a group of guys attempting to jump Connor, calling him all sorts of homophobic slurs. He had impulsively jumped in between them, on the brink of a panic attack, thinking of what would've happened had he not intervened. Of course, they had both ended up getting a few punches thrown at them, but they suffered through it together.

Evan knew that if Jared let this out, Connor and him would both be done for... But, he also knew they'd go through the pain of it together. Hand in hand, in front of large groups of other students.

Jared finally broke the silence. His smirk had dissolved into a frown and he slouched in the spot where he stood. "I don't want anything. You don't have to worry about me telling anyone though, if that's what you're worried about. I could honestly care less." His pudgy frame went down the treehouse, he didn't even look back up as he climbed to the ground. Connor rushed over to the entrance, watching as Jared slunk in between a group of trees. Evan stood, shaking. "Evan. Are you okay?" Connor whispered, wandering back over to Evan, hands reaching for him. "If you're worried about Jared... Who cares if he tells everyone?"

Evan shook his head. "No. He won't say anything. I know Jared can be rude, but if there's one thing he'd never do, it's lie."

Connor smiled, relieved, but a tad disappointed as well. He wanted everyone to know, but he wasn't sure he'd have the strength to open up about it by himself, and he was certain Evan didn't either. Connor took Evan's hands into his. "Do you wanna go home? I can walk you, if you'd like." Evan let a nervous grin creep upon his face. "That'd be nice."

And with that, the two boys jumped out of the treehouse and disappeared through the trees until they were out on the streets. The sun was still high in the sky, it was hot enough to cook an egg out there on the asphalt.

Connor and Evan discreetly held hands whilst Connor's long hoodie sleeve covered them up so no one could see. They headed to Evan's house, not minding the other people walking past, giving them suspicious stares as they walked up onto Evan's porch. Evan's mother walked out of the house, her first day off from work in months. She was all dolled-up in a blue cocktail dress and a pair of black pumps. There was a very expensive looking sterling silver necklace around her neck, it had a silver star pendant. Evan was ecstatic to be able to spend the day with her... Or, well, that's what he had thought he was going to do, but his mother told him some good but slightly bad news. "I'm going on a date, Ev." She sounded happy, excited to finally have met someone but for him that just meant he'd only have less time to spend with her.

His grin faltered. Connor stood behind Evan, having to keep himself from rubbing Evan's back and cooing into his ear. It was as if he knew exactly what Evan was thinking, knowing just how much he valued his time with his mother. "Oh, heh... A date? Didn't know you had a boyfriend..." Evan did a terrible job at hiding his disappointment. What had started off as a wonderful day, was beginning to become extremely shitty.

"Well, he's not my boyfriend, but maybe after a few dates... If this one goes well." She pecked Evan on the cheek, then left the two boys on the porch as she headed for the red volvo in the driveway. After she left, Connor told Evan he'd stay with him for as long as he needs. Connor couldn't bear to leave Evan all alone, not when he knew he was incredibly upset about his mother. They sat in the confines of Evan's bedroom, the four walls feeling like borders between them and the outside world. They didn't do much talking, no... Evan spent most of his time sobbing as Connor held him close, never minding the constant flow of hot, salty tears dripping down his shoulder.

"Evan... It'll be okay, remember that." He had a hand against the back of Evan's head, while Evan had his face pressed up against Connor's shoulder... Tears stained his shirt. Evan knew Connor was right. Things would be okay, eventually. Evan knew his mother meant well, but he just wished she'd spend a little more time than him... He never had that dad who stuck it out, and he never had a mother who was just there.

It had always just been Evan, just Evan.

But, instead of it just being him this time... There was Connor.

Connor who always stuck it out.

Connor who was always just there.

Evan sighed into Connor's shoulder, taking in his scent.

Connor.