"Please have a seat." I removed a stack of folders lying on a chair in front of my desk, so she could sit down.

She scanned my newly renovated office space. "Nice office, it suits you perfectly."

"Is that a compliment?" I wasn't exactly sure by the look on her face.

She hesitated. "It's an observation. Everything is very masculine to an extreme. I-I'm not really able to articulate clearly, what I'm trying to say. It's nice though, at least you have a beautiful view of the Dallas skyline."

I decided to let the comment drop and move on. I'm used to reading people, especially women. But, this woman is different. She isn't good for my ego, I have to admit. What did she really think? That thought bothered me, even though I tried to ignore her.

What does, Shayne Carrington, care what she thinks anyway? Is she an interior decorator in her spare time?

"Sabine, I need your assistance in helping me go through all of these ledgers. We need to figure out how much money we lost, with each account that recently left Carrington Enterprises. I have a stack of folders and I'll give you a stack." I looked up at her from a document that I was signing.

I added, "We need these done by today."

She looked alarmed. "I have a date tonight. I can't stay late."

"I'm not trying to get into your personal life, but can you cancel your date?" I was intrigued that she had a date and wondered who it was with.

This woman has me acting very irrational all of a sudden.

She answered me, as she was beginning to peruse one of the financial folders. "No! I cannot cancel my date." She never looked up.

Of all the—nerve. I was angry with myself for even giving a thought about this subordinate woman having a date tonight.

I was taken aback. "I am asking you as my assistant, to cancel your date." I couldn't believe I, was even having this conversation. I don't have these conversations—I'm her boss.

Through great effort, I tried again. "Can you please call whomever your date is with and cancel, this one time?"

"NO. Because one time will turn into twenty times. I know how people like you operate." She stated matter-of-factly.

I was holding my anger in check. "People like me? What person am I, Miss Harlow? I would love to know." I felt each muscle in my face beginning to tense.

"I'll let you figure that out for yourself. I will work on these folders all day, through lunch and you will have them completed at the end of the work day." She picked up a folder and calculator. She started working at my desk.

I was flabbergasted at the audacity of this woman. She insulted my office decor, would not cancel her date to work late, and then proceeded to tell me what kind of person I am. On top of that, I have to figure it out. . . . This is just day one of working with her.

I'm her boss, but you would never know it. I'm ready for a new assitant, if she doesn't fullfill her word and have that assignment done at the end of today's work day.

Who does she think she is anyway?

*****

My office phone ringing brought me back to earth. "Hello?"

"I'll be right there." I hung up with Grey.

"It seems that I have a meeting to attend. You can stay in my office and finish your work if you'd like." I spoke to Sabine who had her head down and was heavily number crunching. Her fingers wear flying through calculations.

"Okay, thank you." She looked up at me briefly, with her eyebrows furrowed in thought and a pencil tapping her chin.

"I'm leaving now, I'm not sure how long this meeting will last. I'll expect the completed folders at the end of the day." I gave her a thumbs up, as I grabbed my leather portfolio with everything I'd need for the meeting with Mr. Thatcher.

"Okay. Oh, can you please shut the door quietly behind you as you leave? Thank you." Sabine asked and gestured toward the door over her shoulder, without looking back.

Please shut the door quietly behind me? This is my office!. . . . Who is this woman?

We got along the very first day I started working here at Carrington Enterprises. My brother was in London. She gave me a tour and everything went great. But after that day we hit a major bump in the road, and never became friends.

What did I do to make her dislike me so much? I really don't have time to linger on worrying about her, right now.

~Votes and Comments Appreciated~