Horror Is My Entertainment

Start from the beginning

A chilling feeling came over me. Not only from thinking too hard about Tom Riddle but also by understanding that I was virtually mindless. The sooner my mind was restored, the better. It was useless resisting Tom without a properly functioning mind. I was basically a goner until we sorted this curse out.

Despite everything I was extremely grateful Dumbledore was letting me stay temporarily at his home. I couldn't imagine staying in the hospital wing another night, especially not the Slytherin Common Room.

I stared around the room again. Across the wall from me was yet another framed picture of Ariana Dumbledore, when I saw it I felt a twinge of regret. It couldn't be easy for Dumbledore to have a portrait of his deceased sister hanging in the lounge room.
I considered the painting, my mind racing ahead of me. This very home once held terrible secrets and a deep family tension. I thought of a young Dumbledore, brilliant but confined to shoulder the responsibility of his sick sister and wayward brother. How did he even manage to cope? I don't even know if I could've handled a situation like that, I didn't even have any siblings at all to start with. At least I didn't think I did. Hold on. I couldn't even remember if I had siblings or not... How the hell could I remember a book, and not my own family?

"We ran out of tea bags unfortunately so I made us a pot of coffee instead." I watched as Dumbledore walked over, magenta cloak trailing behind him as he placed a tray holding the coffee pot and cups on a small table to my right.

"I must admit I do feel rather peckish." He admitted. "I think it's the perfect opportunity for the fudge brownie I made two days ago, what do you think? I do find muggle magazines tend to have very decent comfort food recipes. I had to oblige and whip some up."

He left for a moment coming back with a heated plate of mouthwatering brownies. "Help yourself. I can't imagine that resortative solution you were having at breakfast for the past few days was easy on the tastebuds." He grimaced.

I gasped. "How did you know about that?" I asked, fixing us both coffee. "It was absolutely awful." To be honest, just remembering it made me feel queasy.

"I have my ways," He said airily, and with a pang I thought of the other day how Tom had used those very same words. Suppressing a shudder I distracted myself by taking a sip of coffee which worked, it was just what I needed.

"In actual fact that restorative solution of Pomfrey's is extremely effective," Dumbledore admitted, "However not to remedy the curse Riddle has given you." He took a bite of the fudge brownie, deep in thought.

"I have done a bit of study over the past few days. I do ask you to forgive me. Having you locked up in the solitary room was a temporary measure myself and Madam Pomfrey had made for your own safety. Rest assured however I think I already know what our mystery curse is." He placed the brownie down, before standing and striding down a random hall.

"Professor!" I almost dropped my coffee mug in shock. "Wait! Already? How in Merlin's name-"

It was like a million feelings hit me at once like a shards of glass. It was extremely good Dumbledore had apparently found a way to restore my mind- but at the same time did that mean I had to leave here just as soon as I'd arrived? I stared around the comfortable home. If only I could live here for as long as it took to formulate a solid plan of action...

"Call me Albus." Dumbledore called, "After all this is basically your home for the time being." I placed my almost empty coffee mug down with a clatter as I raced down the darkened hall after him. Many enchanted portraits tried to speak to me, I could only ignore them all as I raced to catch up with him. How fast could one man walk?

"Here we are," He said finally, "My study." He stopped outside a door so suddenly I almost tripped over his cloak.

"After you, Hermione." I stepped forward, with a twist of the door knob I pushed the door open into a decent sized study room complete with a large desk on top dozens of books were stacked. "The place is hideously unkept, I do apologise. You see I keep most of my books with me at the school. We won't be studying this time, however. Look in the far right hand corner."