Chapter 63: The Ball (Part 2)

It was hard not to feel overwhelmed in this impeccably styled ball room currently housing the most influential people in the state, excluding us of course.

Mikaela was no exception, ever since we left the limo she had been bombarded by reporter after reporter. When I turned around to look for her I could see her entertaining another eager journalist with that signature unbothered expression she always wore.

Being the beautiful daughter of the billionaire in charge of today's event made her the center of attention but I knew now how bored she must be with those repetitive questions. Who's dress was she wearing? And shoes, etc. 

She cast me a wary look before returning her attention to the cameras but I knew there was no way I could save her. 

I looked around for a convenient place to stand to scout the area. Every food table seemed to be preoccupied by meandering groups of people who weren't even eating. There was a mini bar to the far right and as expected it was the most crowded area but there was another drinks table by the corner.

Nobody stood around there and from the looks of the large punch bowl and small glasses neatly arranged around it, I could only guess it to be the non-alcoholic section.

Harry followed my gaze and we seemed to have a mutual understanding as we walked towards that very table.

Once we were there I took a glass and placed it to my lips, inhaling first before taking a sip. Sure enough it was one of the most delicious fruit punch I had ever tasted.

Harry was looking around, fidgeting with the lapels on his suit and then adjusting the tie around his neck. After a few minutes of shifting around on his feet he finally looked at me and sighed with a defeated expression on his face.

"There's no way we're going to find him. It's too crowded and what if he didn't even make it?" 

To be honest when I observed the sheer vastness of this whole place I was worried as well. We would have to scour the place the whole night if we wanted to find Harry's father, someone whom according to Harry didn't even want to be found.

A lump formed in my throat at the thought. What if Harry's father had seen him and chosen to ditch the event?

I quickly swallowed down my fears with another sip of punch. Harry was allowed to be a nervous wreck tonight but I had to be strong for him. I couldn't let my worries show.

"Calm down, Harry. We've only been here a few minutes. We have the whole night to look for him and we have Mikaela. She saw his name on the guess list and maybe she would know where he could be. She obviously knows the place better than we do," I assured him.

"We can't tell her anything. She doesn't know he left me," He reminded me.

"Well maybe we should," My words were spontaneous, surprisingly even myself. There was something about Mikaela that made me feel I could tell her the most absurd story and she'd still look at me without judgement. She didn't do any fishing today and she seemed like the type who avoided drama instead of being in the middle of it.

These two traits we slowing winning me over in the trust department and it was pretty obvious we needed her help tonight if we wanted to find Harry's father fast.

"Rosalie, we don't even know her," Harry frowned but I could tell it was half-hearted, having mastered his many everyday frowns. He was considering it because he knew Mikaela wasn't the type of person who would use this against him.

He probably knew her better than I did. They were lab partners in middle school which was the reason rumors about the two had become a piece of hot gossip at the time.