Chapter 28: Lasagna Anyone?

"Are you insane Cass? You found a boy in our daughters room and instead of kicking him out you invite him to dinner?" I could hear the incredulity in my father's voice from the kitchen. They were inside preparing dinner while I was to lay the table outside. Harry had gone to his car to take something so here I was spying on my parents. 

I already knew they were talking about me I just didn't think it would be this amusing.

"I don't understand why you're overreacting. He's her lab partner and they were studying together, that's it. Don't you trust your own daughter?"

I heard him sigh loudly. "Of course I do, it's him I don't trust. Do you know how many times I've "studied" at girls houses when we were in high school? Trust me we didn't need books to study biology."

"You're disgusting you know that," I heard my mother huff. "You can take out the lasagna from the oven, it should be done by now."

I heard the oven door being opened and the sound of something hitting the counter top roughly. 

"Careful Jared," My mother hissed. "I don't care if you're not happy with this situation, you are going to smile and act polite in front of that adorable young man, understood?"

"And if I don't?"

"Then you can forget about eating a home cooked meal for the next few months."

There was dead silence after those words.

"Okay fine I will try to be nice. Why are you so excited anyway?" My father grumbled making me laugh silently.

"Did you see those dimples?" My mum gushed. "I wouldn't mind those dimples on our grandchildren. Don't you want grandchildren Jared? I know I do and since this is the first boy she's ever shown interest in we need to be supportive." 

I wanted to gag at the statement. My mother had no idea how way off she was. I was definitely not interested in Harry and vice versa. Boy if she only knew the real reason he was in my room. I couldn't believe she was already thinking about grandchildren, I mean I wasn't even seventeen yet. 

"Didn't anyone ever tell you that it's rude to eavesdrop?" Harry's voice made me jump back in shock. Oh dear God did he just hear what I did? That would be beyond embarrassing!

I begrudgingly turned towards him while I slowly shut the kitchen door. "Please tell me you didn't hear any of that?" 

"Hear what?" He asked me curiously.

I exhaled in relief and shook my head. "Nothing important."

"Really? Well if you ask me any topic involving grandchildren sounds pretty important. Especially if your mum wants them to have dimples," He broke into a mocking smile bringing out the dimples in his cheeks and then he burst out laughing when he saw how horrified I looked.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry I mean who needs enemies when you have parents like mine. "Harry please just ignore them."

"How can I? Your mum's hilarious," He laughed loudly. "Am I really the first boy you've ever brought home?"

My cheeks burned in embarrassment, looks like I wasn't the only eavesdropper here. "Of course not," I defended as he raised his eyebrows at me. "If you count kindergarten," I mumbled under my breath.

He continued laughing at my expense and then I realized that this was the first time I'd ever seen him laugh. I stared at him in awe wondering if I should take a video or something. This image was so rare it had to be worth something.

 This image was so rare it had to be worth something