Chapter 26: Hot and Cold

"Harry did you see Zayn staring at us?" I quickly asked. If that wasn't suspicious I don't know what is.

He turned around to look at me and then shook his head, eyeing me skeptically. "Nope." I decided internally that he probably missed him because there was no way I imagined that.

He seemed to realize that he was still holding my wrist and then he quickly dropped it like a hot potato. I probably would have been offended if it was anyone else but it was hot tempered Harry we're talking about.

I was still surprised that he had saved me from all those vicious students a few moments ago and the fact that he knew how to help me with that hyperventilation episode. But of course what surprised me the most was that he actually hugged me. I never in a million years would have expected that sort of reaction from him.

From the time I've known him till now, I have never seen Harry protect or console anyone. He always kept to himself and glared at people who ever dared to even look at him. I was one of them in middle school thanks to a dare from Mel, so I know how scary that glare is.

Now that I've come to think of it, Harry has single handedly helped me out these past few days. From the time I sat with him in the cafeteria to the time he listened in on my confession which would have been way worse if his uncle had heard instead. And not to mention today of course.

It was then that I realized something as I followed him to my locker. In some aggressive and slightly odd way Harry Styles was actually kind of nice.

I found myself smiling at the thought of having someone like him by my side at a time like this.

Once we reached my locker I stared at the words murderer and sighed internally wondering how people could jump to such a conclusion about me. I mean did I even look like someone capable of murder. But then again does anyone? I chose to ignore that thought.

Harry ran his hand over the red paint. "This should come off pretty easily. You should let the janitor know so that he can remove it."

"Yeah I just hope the principal doesn't get word of this," I mused, staring at the words longer than I'd intended to.

"Even if it does it doesn't matter, right? Because you're innocent?" His words sounded more like a challenge than a statement.

"Ummm yes of course," I murmured and yet my stomach twisted in knots at the thought of facing Inspector Liam again.

He scoffed at my reaction and then he turned around and began walking away. What the hell?

"Wait!" I called after him. I stood at my locker awkwardly not knowing what to do. Class had already started and I had no intention of walking in late on Mr. Eager's class. He had issues with tardiness and I was better off skipping his class than being late. Besides the last thing I wanted was to draw more attention to myself.

"Where are you going?" I shouted at his retreating form.

"Doesn't concern you," He said plainly, his voice echoing in the empty hallways.

Talk about blow hot, blow cold. I stood there stunned by his sudden change in demeanor. Okay maybe I didn't have him by my side after all. That realization made my heart feel heavy and I turned to my locker instead and began turning the combination.

It finally clicked open and I swung it open only to stumble back when a million pieces of cut out paper poured out. Written on each paper were words like murderer, bitch, evil, etc.

I bit my lip to keep from crying again and began searching for my books for my next lesson. When I pulled them out more small pieces of paper flew in my face and I dropped my books in response. They landed on the floor with a loud thud and it took all my will power to ignore the written insults all around me as I bent down to pick them up.