Chapter 9: Game Night

The Riverton High indoor gym boasted all the qualities similar to a National Basketball Arena. A sleek wooden floor that had probably been polished the day before spanned the entire area. It was bounded on each side by huge indoor bleaches and exits on both ends, one that lead to the school hallways and the other that lead to the woods behind. This place was probably the best kept part of the school.

If it was one thing our school took seriously it was the number of trophies our basketball team brought back every year. It was the only thing our school was famous for. Our basketball team won our state level basketball championships almost every year since I was a freshman.

As a whole, our grades were average at best on a national level, our cheerleaders weren't much to brag about and neither were any other curricular activities. So I suppose it made sense that the whole place was packed to the brim tonight with excited students and teachers eager for our first win this season.

For the first time since I'd started high school, I found myself sitting in the front row. Melanie sat beside me of course and the only reason for our upgrade this year was because her boyfriend was playing.

Music blasted through the speakers which could only be drowned out by the idle chatter of students waiting but everything died down when our headmaster stepped up and welcomed everyone to our first game of the season. After that the cheer started.

Our rival school sat on the bleachers across from us and when they're cheerleaders started prancing around and booing us I caught them sneering in our direction a few times which made me want to laugh. It was just a game people. No need to go all bitch mode on us.

"Watch how the professionals do it," Amanda boasted and then glanced back and gave Melanie a wink. I noticed the two of them have gotten quite close recently.

They started stretching in angles I never knew was possible and then Mikaela lead their routine which aimed at belittling the rival team. I could hear everyone behind me screaming and shouting in approval, I rolled my eyes and then caught Melanie glaring at me.

"You should cheer too Ro. We have to beat those guys!" She held her fist up in the air as she stared daggers at a few girls seated across from us.

"Go Rivertoners," I muttered sarcastically.

Once the routines were over the lights dimmed and then focused on the entrance to the locker rooms. Everyone's heads turned, mine included. One by one the Lakeland High School team ran in with their fists up in the air and their faces filled with determination. They're schoolmates cheered whilst ours remained silent and then after a few seconds our Riverton High team jogged out.

I couldn't help myself, as the whole hall erupted into a fit of cheer I felt excitement course through my veins. The effect of the lights, the chanting crowds and the confident boys in jerseys walking into position could make anyone tense and eager to watch and sitting in front row made it way better.

I could see every little detail I'd missed before like how Jake's nervous expression turned calm after he spotted Melanie and that LB was the clear stand out among st all the others. His face glowed under the bright lights and everything from his stature to his calm smile commanded attention from every single person watching.

Even the girls from Lakeland High School were openly swooning at him. I watched as he did something he usually did before every game of his. He looked up to the ceiling and then closed his eyes and prayed. Once he was done he winked at Mikaela, another routine of his which made almost every other girl in the room mad with envy. Not too long ago I was one of those girls, now I had a deranged albeit gorgeous creature on my case which took up most of my thoughts and feelings. Fear being the most prominent one.