Chapter 11: The Golden Couple

Out of all the people I expected to see come through that door, Mikaela was definitely not one of them. Despite the occasional exchange of words we weren't exactly close friends, especially not close enough to abandon a basketball game and venture into the creepy dark hallways of Riverton High. 

Which was why I was rooted in place, staring at her with surprise written all over my face and completely at a loss for words. I suppose a "thank you" was in order but then I'd have to explain what for.

"What are you doing here?" Mikaela finally spoke breaking the awkward silence between us. She looked equally confused, her puzzled expression mirroring mine. 

"I-umm, I," I stuttered like a two year old, forgetting what words would form a coherent sentence. How do I phrase 'oh nothing just trying not to get bitten by a vampire who's strangely fixated with me.' without sounding like a psycho.

Sensing my frazzled state she walked up to me and studied my face with that penetrating stare of hers. 

"What's wrong? Did someone hurt you?" she asked, her face etched with concern.  

"No, it's nothing. I was looking for Melanie, have you seen her?" I cleared my voice and straightened up a little finally remembering why I came here in the first place.

"Yeah she's in the gym watching the game," she replied and then her gaze shifted to the mess of scattered tables on our right. The table Zayn had flicked over with his fingers like it weighed nothing lay partially against the wall and on top of another table. It was pretty obvious that it hadn't been originally arranged like that.

"She's in the gym? Did she ask for me? Why didn't she tell me she was back?" I whispered more to myself than anything and my heart sank a little in hurt knowing that my best friend was in there watching the game whilst I was here in danger.

"I don't know if she asked," Mikaela answered in a clipped tone of voice and then pulled me by the arm. "Come on let's head back. I don't know about you but this place is giving me the creeps right now."

I couldn't agree more so I let her lead me out of the cafeteria picking up my phone along the way but as we passed the door I froze in place and looked down. 

"What are you looking at?" she asked me. Her hands were all fidgety, I could tell she was eager to get back but I remained still all the while looking at the floor with my mind now in state of total chaos. 

"Did- did you see blood there before you came in?"

Her eyes widened at my question but she shook her head. "No, but I wasn't really looking when I walked through. Why? Is there blood there?" She came closer and looked at the same spot I was staring at.

Only thing was that exact same spot on the floor was now devoid of any stain whatsoever which boggled my mind. I was absolutely positive I saw blood when I first walked through those doors. Could I have imagined it? Because Zayn couldn't have cleaned that all up in time for Mikaela to walk in. I mean he's fast but not that fast. Oh God so many questions ran through my mind. Was I seeing things now? Who's blood could that have been? If it was ever there to begin with.

"There's nothing there. Come on we should go," Mikaela said tugging at my sleeve. There was a sense of urgency in her voice and I wondered if I was freaking her out or she was just eager to get back to her boyfriends game.

I struggled to keep up with her huge strides, my legs no match for her insanely long athletic ones. At her pace we reached the gym's exit in a few minutes but before we went in I stopped her.

"Why did you come looking for me?" I asked, genuinely confused by her actions.

She looked at me now, her beautiful face so unreadable it was frustrating, Her mouth opened to answer but before she could speak the loud sound of a whistle blowing echoed from inside and the speakers blared with the sound of someones voice.