Chapter 9: Beyond The Gray Grass

The scenery was sad but, at the same time, so beautiful that I stood there staring beyond the horizon made by the hills.

I shook off the strange feeling and walked hill upon hill.

It took forever and ever as it was just gray grass and bloody skies. As I trodded on the ground, I could hear another footstep behind me.

I turned my back constantly to only see nothing. My anxiety grew as these steps became heavier. Step by step, it drew closer to me.

A ghost was on my tail and I know now how scary being followed is. So I ran.

Ran faster than my whole life depending on it. Ran harder than the last time I had a robber chase me.

As the hills began to come to a low, I spotted a lone gray stone at the center of a steep bowl with hills surrounding it. It was a headstone with a text engraved on the center.

The tempest blows its superior winds that the lowly grass is made to bow to their might. As for one tree in a hill yonder, it stands strong thought its boughs still dance.

Whatever that meant, it didn't sound like a proverb. As I said the words, the wind blew harder. It was only as strong as a small storm.

The grass bent lower to the wind's direction and all I could do was just wait for something to happen. As I stared blankly onto the headstone, I had a vision (within a dream... just wow).

I saw a woman. She looked beaten up by someone or something. She's been strapped to a pole. In a dark room, she bled heavily. Pale and cold, she could barely breathe. She yelled and screamed for her savior but none appeared. Then her hand slowly stops moving. And when she looked up, her face was revealed behind the hair that covered her. It was Lea...

Then I was back to the plain of gray grass with the headstone now broken into smithereens. Then from the distance, I saw a tree, like what the text on the headstone said. It stood tall and brave.

"What on earth..?"

What on earth, indeed. What was all of this telling me anyway, I thought. I know there was a sort of symbolism or meaning behind this but...

What is it? What do all of these mean?

It horrified me. I didn't ask to see Lea suffer in my mind and yet here came the vision.

And she was wearing that same velvet red dress I gave her on her birthday... Just why, I kept asking myself.

And realizing I had to stop, I looked up to the sky. It was still red. Red as blood. Red as her dress. Red as passion and anger. Things I've felt many times before.

Then when I looked down again, the headstone disappeared. And so did the tree. I walked again, climbing up from the bowl, and into the great beyond of this plain.

And over the nth hill I climbed, I saw another forest. Lush greens, evergreens. Flowering and blooming like the first day of spring yet it contrasts the sky that was once yellow, now red.

So it began another crazy adventure of a lifetime. Just kidding. I just wanna wake up already!