Chapter 8: Memory's Reprieve

The woods was all the same as I followed this brick road in the night. There were too few nightlamps down the brick road.

As I walked, I remember the strife I had to go through just to get to where I wanted to be.

Ambition. I always thought that was in my name. And yes, it has brought me much success in life.

This success spearheaded the road to where I am now. I'm now vice-president of Minnow Life Insurance.

Our motto: Your security is our lifelong concern.

But, in my heart, I knew that I was missing something. It's a feeling I wanted to have for a long while...

It's hard to contemplate. It's beyond words for me!

Now I just feel confused. I felt ashamed for who I am. I knew there's something I needed to add in me.

I had no idea but I was about to find it sometime later on my way out.

And I nearly forgot all about Cola...

"I bet she's back there. Dead or live."

I worried about her. She promised to stay with me but had disappeared at the hotel.

And to add to my grief, I saw from the distance of the winding brick road a ruined and bloodied figure. It looked familiar...

A...

Tarsier-like face...

"Oh my God..."

My legs started to run towards it.

Cola!

Cola!!

My voice started screaming her name. Her name!

To lose someone like Cola is awful but more painful when it promised it would be with you 'til the end of your days. I know what loss is like and I should tell you that I've had several in my childhood.

My parents, who both had cancer when I reached 18. They died separately after my 19th birthday.

My best friend/sister's boyfriend/brother-in-law-to-be, Dandy, who was murdered by a serial killer.

Said serial killer happened to be the best cousin I've ever had. Carlo's been executed for several other crimes. Motive? Dandy was a bully to him before and nearly killed him once before but not intentionally.

Then my Aunt Stephanie, the author of this amazing book called Tarmac Kidnapper, died of a heart attack. She was my favorite aunt.

Despite all these losses, I've finally moved on in life to live my life for everyone. But to see Cola dead brings these memories back.

A tear fell from my eye as I knelt down to touch Cola. To my surprise, she started to fade like evaporating water. I tried to grab her but she seemed untouchable.

I thought, "What is this dream doing to me?"

It made me contemplate if I ever really moved on from their death. For sure, I thought this meant something to me. But it was a dream, after all, so it could mean anything.

Had I?

It didn't seem to matter much anymore because I knew how to cope with these.

By the end of the brick road stood an arc of wood, a sign that shouts for itself "Bloody Plains".

The ruined rolling hills before me had gray grass and the sky was red and cloudy. A grim sight to behold, I thought.