Chapter 4: Longing to Follow

I went to the living room to see Linda outside at the front lawn. She was watering the flowers outside. Strangely, I never noticed any flowers at the front lawn before.

The monkey followed behind me, wimpering like it's hurt but it isn't. It's just sad about my rejection to it. Despite that, it still follows me! And I just realized I had never known its name yet.

Linda finished watering her plants and came inside, looking a little bit surprised.

"Cola, don't bother the fell'r!" She commanded.
The monkey slinked away to a corner and wimpered even more.

Yet, we both didn't mind it.

"That's Cola. She ain't my pet though. She just followed me and.... I let him stay with me." She explained.

Linda told me, too, that she was often annoyed by it because of its attitude. That impish monkey had been with her for 3 months. I'm surprised that this was just a dream yet it is aware of time. Even the clock time doesn't change every now and then. It just tells the time of the "day" correctly.

"Uhh..." I hesitated. "That's already called keeping a pet." I smirked to the fact that she still couldn't accept it. Maybe she's an animal lover. Oh well...

"C'mon, get a move on now. To the kitchen for breakfast." And suddenly, I smelled pancakes.

"Hm? Your pancakes do smell awfully nice." I complimented.

"Eh. Lea's the better cook than me. Have ya asked her to cook for ya?" She asked.

"Nah. I usually took her out on dates and bought her the food." I said.

"The fine gentleman you turned out to be." She snickered.

And so the three of us, Linda, the monkey and I meet at the table for breakfast and the scent of pancakes and waffles wafted through the air like perfume. I sighed as the pancakes were brought to the table by Linda. I sat between her and the monkey and we dug in. The cheese and maple syrup was a delightful combo. And the pancakes almost tasted like cream, for some reason.

"So... Linda..." I hesitated.

"Yeah?"

"You do realize that this is a dream, right?" I asked.

And all of a sudden, her eyes glowed a bright yellow and smiled at me with that heavenly feeling. I thought it was the end of me when I thought she was cursed or something.

And she said:

"My, my, my. You do catch on, do ya?" Her accent wasn't Western anymore. It turned Irish.

Then the monkey hid under the table and clutched my legs.

"Oi! What'r you doing, Cola?"

"Don't worry. It won't hurt you." Linda assured.

"What?"

"You are right to be confused. Because I am not Linda you are talking to right now."

And suddenly I tried to process the things that were happening. Her voice was different, her eyes are glowing. The leaves of the forest were purple, a house where there shouldn't be, a monkey with a tarsier head. The clock was working perfectly when you know in dreams they can often change on their own. But she has a point. I have to be confused. If not, I would've been ignorant about the things that were happening and this story might have taken another turn, and one that could have been unfavorable.