#52 Limbo - Limbo

Lyle and I entered the B&B through the side door a few moments later than usual. Extra effort was needed this morning to drag our equally groggy selves out of bed. The bright side, neither of us had a nightmare. The downside, neither of us had slept enough to start dreaming. Therefore, while Lyle took a quick shower I made us both steaming cups of green tea, one to chug now and one for midway through the morning rush when we were sure to be feeling the exhaustion. Right before we left I also made a point to check my messages, finding a voicemail from Martha, my childhood social worker, congratulating me on "the big 2 3". I made a mental note to call her back as we rushed out the door.

I found my spot at the griddle whipping up a triple batch of pancake batter while Lyle started setting up. It was never too absurdly busy on a Friday morning – most new guests arrived later in the day for a weekend trip - so it was just Lyle and I manning the kitchen. Neither of us minded and sometimes the situation was easier to handle with less people running through the narrow aisles between tables. Before we knew it the clock struck nine and all our guests had gone back to their rooms to get ready for their day.

Lyle went to the foyer to take the dirty napkins down to the laundry while I began washing and drying the dishes. Just as I picked up the first plate Grace deemed our 'spring plates' because of the sweet paintings of native flowers on the edge a voice cleared their throat behind me.

"I'm almost done, can you put this jar of honey in a pot its solidifying." I pushed the crystalized honey to my side, my back to the rest of the kitchen, so concentrated on my work that I didn't notice my friends gathered behind me until they opened up in song.

Grace's operatic vibrato carried through the room and I grinned as the sound filled my ears turning around to meet the group. They congregated in a half circle around Lyle who smiled wider than I'd ever seen her as she sang off key. In her hands she held a chocolate frosted cake with iced letters that read "our favorite breakfast queen".

Dania and Evelyn flanked Lyle holding onto opposite sides of the plate as they danced as much as they could while still keeping the creation level. In his usual position Tony gave me a wink from behind Grace as his strong arms wrapped around his fiancé who hit a high note with such passion that I swore glass would break.

As the singing came to an end Grace rushed in to hug me and in the process lifted me a few inches from the floor.

"I am so happy you decided to join me in this crazy adventure." She whispered in my ear then setting me down she turned to everyone. "It was right here three years ago tonight that I convinced May to go along with my dream. Just one month before opening she helped me whip this place in to tip top shape and she's been here ever since – and still hasn't learned how to make anything other than pancakes." She added with a chuckle and everyone laughed with her. "Now all of this, my dream is a reality- our reality. So thank you darling, I couldn't have done any of this without you"

There were tears in her eyes as she scooped me into another hug and whispered her love in my ear.

"Love you too." I wheezed back as she squeezed me so tightly I couldn't breathe - but I didn't mind.

I was truly happy.

Hurriedly, I was ushered onto a bar stool at the kitchen island, where in front of me sat three wrapped gifts. Dania and Evelyn grabbed plates and utensils cutting into the cake and passing it around much to my delight.

Cake for breakfast? What could be better?

"Hurry on and open up your presents, we have work to do." Grace scolded pushing the gifts toward me. "You know some child is going to wander in here and start ogling your cake. Eat up!"