Chapter Seventy-Eight

As always, none of this is mine. I'm just the perv who want to make our beloved Twilight characters swear, drink, and go at it like horny rabbits. This story will be a combination of love, suspense, some violence and steamy, sweaty sex.

On with it!

Chapter Seventy-Eight

EPOV

Parking in Bella's garage, I let myself in through the back. Charlie was sitting at the kitchen table, reading the paper. "Hey, how did it go?" I asked, putting Bella's presents on the counter.

"We had a great time! Thanks for the tip on where to take her. The food was amazing at the Signature Room," Charlie grinned. "If it were up to me, I would have found a tavern, but my baby girl deserves the best. I had twenty-seven birthdays to make up for." His grin fell and his eyes watered.

"Charlie, you know that's not your fault," I said, sitting down next to him.

"No, it is, but it's something that I need to get over," he sighed. "I should have fought harder for her, Edward. Renee..."

"Is a manipulative bitch who has no feelings toward her daughter," I finished for him. "I've met her. I know."

"Well, I'm going to shower," Charlie mumbled, his shoulders slumped. "Emmett and Jacob are taking me to a Sox game while you and Bella celebrate her birthday together."

"Psssh, the Sox," I scoffed. "You should go to the friendly confines...Wrigley Field!"

"You can take me the next time I'm in town," Charlie replied, his voice still sad and upset. "Have fun with my baby girl, Edward. I'll see you when I get back!" He disappeared down the steps and I heard the shower start in the floors below. I felt for Charlie. What Renee had done to him was reprehensible. Keeping his only daughter away? It would be a long road until Charlie felt worthy and could forgive himself. I knew that Bella already had and was thrilled to have a parent who loved her back in her life.

Shaking that off, I went about to making Bella breakfast. I made blueberry pancakes with fresh fruit and side of bacon. Arranging everything on a tray, I carried her breakfast along with her presents and a steaming cup of coffee up to her room. Placing the tray on the dresser, I crawled onto the bed and lay down next to my girl. She was curled up, hugging her pillow to her body. Her pink lips were parted and her long brown hair was all around her, like a halo of the sweetest chocolate. I ran a finger down her soft cheek. Her lips twitched and she shifted, turning her head away from me. I chuckled quietly, moving closer and snuggling with my girl. Kissing below her ear, I began singing.

"Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday my sweet beloved. Happy birthday do you," I crooned.

"Hmmmm," Bella moaned, cracking an eye open. "Edward, I'm saying this from the heart...don't quit your day job."

"I know I'm not a singer," I snickered, kissing her pouty lips. "It's the sentiment that counts, right?"

"True," she giggled, turning in my arms and putting her head on my shoulder. "Thank you for the wonderfully off key rendition of 'Happy Birthday.'" She kissed my neck. "And for letting my dad spend the day with me. Charlie was worried that you'd be upset for not..."

"Bella, it worked out perfectly," I smiled. "I had a horrible shift and got very little sleep. I would have been useless if we had gone out. Your dad wanted to do something special, just the two of you."

"And he did," Bella smiled. "He took me to the Signature Room at the Hancock Building. He also gave me these." She showedme her ears, which had a pair of sapphire earrings in them. "They belonged to my grandmother on my dad's side. She was also a September baby. My grandfather gave these to her when they got married."

"Beautiful," I said, tracing her earlobe. "Now, I have breakfast for my favorite girl and my presents. Plus, we have a date today, love."

"What are we doing?" Bella asked, her brown eyes twinkling.

"It's a gorgeous day. I was thinking we could go to Lincoln Park Zoo and Botanical Gardens," I replied. "Then, we have reservations at Gejas, a very romantic fondue restaurant."

"Sounds perfect," Bella breathed, her fingers threading with mine. "How should I dress?"

"Comfy and bring one of your cameras," I said. "There are some really wonderful opportunities for great photos." She nodded. "Now, let me feed you because your stomach is making some interesting sounds and give you your first present." Her stomach snarled and Bella blushed, matching her pink tank top she wore. I kissed her forehead and got out of the bed. Picking up the tray and the box that held the keychain, I carried it to Bella, placing it on her lap. We ended up sharing her breakfast since I had made enough to feed both me and Emmett. I was so used to cooking for firefighters who could eat eight pancakes without breaking a sweat. Bella barely finished two. I ate the rest.

"I'm going to gain weight if you keep cooking like that for me," Bella teased.

"I'm sorry," I chortled.

"Don't apologize. Breakfast was delicious," she said, popping a strawberry in her mouth. "Just remember...I'm not a beefy firefighter. I'm not like you where I would work off my entire days' worth of calories in a blaze or one huge walking muscle." She squeezed my bicep.

"But, you love me," I quipped, kissing her nose and putting the tray onto the dresser while picking up the gift I had brought up with me.

"Hmmm, I do," she said, her eyes softening. "And you love me."

"Unconditionally, my sweet," I whispered. I handed her the box. "First present..."

"You didn't have to get me anything, Edward," she chided. "I'm not like most women where I love to be showered with gifts. I had that with James and you know how well that turned out."

"You have multiple gifts coming but none of them are very expensive," I said.

"Usually, the smaller the box, the more expensive," she replied, pointing to the small box on her lap. "It's usually jewelry."

"I can assure you. This is not jewelry," I promised, pushing it closer to her.

Bella eyed me before pulling on the purple bow that I had wrapped around the silver box. Shaking the lid from the box, she pulled the cotton off the keychain. She picked it up, looking at it. "Is that our neighborhood?"

"Yeah," I said. "Here's your street and mine. Plus, here's the firehouse."

"That is cool," she said, running her fingers over the tiny map. "And what does this key belong to?"

"My place," I answered, my voice turning gruff. "You gave the keys to your home and now, I want you to have the keys to mine. If you need a place to stay, you feel unsafe, whatever the case maybe, my house is your house, love."

She closed her fingers around the keys. Her eyes were glistening with tears and she bit her lip. "Thank you," she murmured.

"I told you it wasn't jewelry," I said, wiping my thumb underneath her eye. "But, I'm not done yet."

A/N: Picture of Edward's keychain is on my blog(s). Links for them are on my profile. Leave me some!

Top of Page