28. slithered

H

  Zayn took the grocery bag from Harry's dangling fingers to carry into Louis' house, leaving Niall to fling an arm around the omega's shoulders so they could walk inside together. Niall was chattering happily to Harry, the weight of his arm temporarily easing the fear that was constantly tearing at the corners of Harry's mind.

  Niall forced Harry to sit on the couch with him as the two other men continued to unload the groceries, playing with his curls and smiling happily when he rested his head heavily on his shoulder. The omega yawned, exhausted from the store, and snuggled against the beta's side.

  Louis grumbled unhappily as he passed through the living room to the kitchen, flashing his teeth when Niall cackled. Zayn rolled his eyes and threw a banana at him, careful to avoid hitting Harry with the fruit.

  "No need to act like a jealous pup, Lou," Niall teased. Harry shifted against him and dug his fingers into Niall's side in retaliation, preening at his alpha's approving grin.

  The blond beta pouted and released his hold on Harry to cross his arms over his chest, clearly betrayed. "So rude, Harry." He murmured when the omega tried to snuggle in for more cuddles, pushing him away by his shoulder.

  Harry frowned and sighed as he pushed off of the couch to clamber into the recliner, curling into a tiny ball and tugging a blanket down from where it was resting atop the chair. All was quiet for a few long minutes, the calm of the house settling Harry's nerves and lulling him into a light nap.

  He barely jolted when his alpha's arms gently curled beneath his body and lifted him, setting the omega in his lap once he had settled in his place. He scratched his fingers gently through Harry's curls, pressing a soothing kiss to his forehead.

  "Are you tired, pup?" Louis whispered in Harry's ear, his free hand rubbing soothing circles against Harry's back. The omega nodded and pressed his nose into Louis' neck to breathe in his alpha's scent.

  They both jumped when Niall suddenly chucked a pillow at them, and Louis grumbled out a warning as he pulled his mate protectively into his chest. He flashed his teeth at the grinning beta, impatience clear in the dangerous flash of his irises.

  Harry gently stroked Louis' chest in an effort to soothe his overprotective alpha. It worked, the older wolf's attention immediately shifting to the omega cuddled tightly in his lap. "Sweet boy," Louis whispered to him.

  The omega felt himself blushing in answer to his alpha's attention, preening and leaning up to kiss his jaw.  He settled soon after for a nap, eyes slipping closed as Louis curled his arms around his body and stroked his fingers through his curls, singing him softly to sleep.

  Harry awoke a few hours later to the quiet chatter on the television and Niall's obnoxious snoring. Weak light was filtering through the window and warming Harry's exposed feet, Louis' breathing soft against his ear as he slept.

  He carefully pushed off of Louis' chest to glance around the living room, meeting Zayn's curious gaze and smiling warmly in greeting. The beta was quick to smile in return, seemingly excited to be willingly acknowledged by the skittish omega.

  Climbing out of Louis' lap, Harry wandered into the kitchen for a glass of water and to search for something to eat, humming an old Fleetwood Mac song to himself. It wasn't long before Zayn joined him, and together they made a simple dinner out of the pasta and red sauce hidden in the back of Louis' barren pantry.

  By the time they were setting bowls down on the dining table, Louis and Niall were up and following the alluring scent of food. Harry's alpha pressed gently against the line of his back and he kissed the back of his neck, hooking his chin over his shoulder as Harry scooped pasta.

  "Smells good, baby," He whispered. The omega hummed happily at the praise.

 Their meal was an event full of laughter and happiness, easing the tension that had set itself in Harry's shoulders. His anxiety slowly ebbed away, and by the time Zayn and Niall left the omega was slumped sleepily against his alpha.

  "Let's go up to bed, pup." Louis murmured as he drew Harry into his arms.  He whined softly in response, and slipped in and out of unconsciousness as his alpha carried him up the stairs and rested him in their bed, slipping his clothing off until Harry was resting on his belly just in his boxers.

  "Goodnight, my love. Sleep tight."

it isn't much, but it's an update.