7. years

H

Harry watched Louis walk away before making his way up the stairs and into his bedroom, shuffling a hand through his wind mussed curls with a soft sigh. His thoughts were racing, trying to figure the alpha out all while attempting to keep his nerves at bay, though he was failing miserably and his breaths were coming out hard and fast.

Harry paused when he heard a soft scuffle in his bedroom and clutched tightly at the wall, aching eyes going wide before he was whirling around and sprinting down the stairs so fast he nearly tripped on the last step, tearing the door open to race outside. The bitter wind stung his pale cheeks, whipping his curls around his face as he tumbled into the grass and curled into a tight ball, faintly hearing Louis call his name before arms were suddenly around him and he was shrieking, struggling. The alpha shouted again and there was the sound of pounding footsteps, Harry's body going limp the minute the weight was off of his back and he was able to breathe again, shoulders jerking.

"Harry, Harry baby. Breathe sweetheart, c'mon it's okay." Louis whispered against his curls, wrapping him up tightly as he rumbled at the other cradling his bloodied nose, hunched over. Harry froze when he recognized the familar slope of his back, the warmth of his scent, the shape of his face before he was shakily pulling out of Louis' protective hold and reaching out to touch the lad's shoulder.

"Li?"

**

Liam set the bloodied rag down on the counter and grimaced as he brushed his fingers over his nose, frowning at Louis with furrowed eyebrows and firmly pressed lips. The two alphas had been staring each other down since Harry had gotten Liam inside and helped cleaned his face up, shoulders tense and eyes dark with a challenge Harry really didn't want to see unfold.

He cleared his throat a bit shyly, flinching when both of their gazes snapped to him and resisting the urge to cower away, pulling the sleeves of his jumper over his hands. "Why'd you come?" Harry looked to Liam while pulling his bottom lip between two fingers, offering a weak smile to calm his friend's jittery nerves.

"I just wanted to check up on you, H. 'Ve been worried." The alpha said, moving as if to touch him only to pull away when Harry jerked and Louis snarled. He looked down, trying to ignore Liam's grimace as the other moved to stand next to him, presence full of strength and stability, of safety. "I'm okay." Harry found himself whispering despite the knowledge that he was most definitely not, glancing down at his hands and sucking his bottom lip into his mouth.

Liam made a soft, disbelieving noise but didn't push him further, opting instead to reach over and pull him into a hug that smelt of warmth and comfort and home, his eyes stinging with unshed tears. Harry allowed himself to cling to the familiar lad for a few minutes before pulling back, snuffling quietly and avoiding Louis' concerned gaze. He leaned back in his chair, listening to the two alphas talk in hushed murmurs over his head as he stared blankly out the window shutting the both of them, along with reality, out of his aching mind.

Later that night after Liam and Louis left, he was laying in bed drawing shapes into the ceiling, hands floating about in midair to rest along with the air, heavy with burden of his earlier struggle. It was nearing three a.m., and he was sure to pass out soon, but for now he was relishing in the sweet silence that had settled over his sanctuary, eyes burning and head aching.

He let out a heavy sigh, allowing himself to slip away for a few minutes only to be brought back by the onslaught of memory and fear, chest pounding as his lungs screamed for much needed oxygen. Harry began to cry before covering his flushed face with his heavy hands, shoulders jerking with the force of his sobs, his terror. Flashes of his alpha's hands, his bruising grip, his angered shouts, rough touches echoed through his mind as he struggled to calm himself down, eyelashes clumping together with tears.

"Please." He gasped against his knees while rocking back and forth, sweaty curls hanging down into his face and sticking to his temples and his cheeks, trembling hands wrapped tight around his skinny calves. "Please, please, please." His gasps turned into pained whimpers and he squeezed his eyes shut, exhaustion washing over him in unrelenting waves. "I just want to sleep. I'm so tired and I can't do this anymore. Not for much longer." The wind was all that heard his desperate pleas, sympathetic as it curled through his damp hair and cooled his flaming skin.

"Please."