Colin's father-in-law owns Thatcher Industries. He is one of the wealthiest men in England, and is flying to Dallas to advise us how to proceed. We have to block the Winthrop's from destroying our business' reputation.

We've slowly been losing our board members to Winthrop Oil. Philip Winthrop, has been on a sucessful mission to undermine the integrity of The Carringtons.

Mr. Thatcher and his wife are bringing Bianca's cousin, Astrid Thatcher. I met her at the wedding. She is extremely shy, but was close to Bianca growing up.

I already told my brother, "I'm not looking for a wife—I love being a bachelor. My hands are full at Carrington Enterprises already. So that is that. . ."

Colin brought to my attention. "That's exactly how Grey felt, before meeting Kendall. You see how that turned out?" he chuckled under his breath.

I quickly reminded him. "In case you haven't noticed, I'm not Grey."

"I'm happy for you, Grey, Colton, and Brody. I love my nephews and my nieces. That has nothing to do with me getting married. Besides, Astrid, is too shy for me. She's not my type at all. She is pretty, but I'm not interested," I stated emphatically.

He nodded. "That's right, you always liked fiesty women. What about Sabine Harlow?" Colin asked innocently.

"No, no, and no. She is going to be my new financial assistant, and that is it." I meant every word.

                                *****

Sabine Harlow

"Please don't ask me to be the assistant for, Shayne Carrington," I made my protest a little louder than I had planned to Grey—flailing my hands wildly in the air.

Grey looked directly at me with a fixed stare. "I'm not asking you, Sabine. We are losing a lot of accounts to Winthrop Oil. Philip Winthrop is waging a personal financial war, with Carrington Enterprises. I need all hands on deck."

Bianca had told me that Jagger's father was livid, she married Colin instead of his son. Now, the Carringtons and Thatchers were joined, as a financial dynasty. That was unacceptable to Mr. Winthrop.

Grey looked at the end of his rope. "I'm your boss, and I need your help. Bianca told us that you used to work for an accounting firm. I need you to work with Shayne, he's our new CFO. I know you two don't get along, but this is business. I'll give you until the end of the day to make your decision.

Grey walked away from my desk, not looking back.

I do want to keep my job. I don't want to be in the company of one particular Carrington—day in and day out. How did I get chosen for this new position?

His arrogance and his chiseled jawline that could cut glass, is beyond maddening to me. But I guess I don't have a choice. Grey, was telling me he needed me to do this job.

Speaking of the man of the hour, he is headed my way now.

"Hello Sabine, I hear we're going to be working together. Please don't think I had anything to do with that decision. Trust me. Please try to keep your claws in during working ours." Shayne smirked, as he handed me a file of paperwork. He placed sticky notes, with directions on the outside like I was a kindergartener.

"By the way, your new desk will be outside of my office tomorrow. I'll see you in the morning, Miss Harlow." He moved his thick brown eyebrows up and down. He had the nerve to grin from ear to ear. His arms were folded across his broad chest, as he stood before me.

I have to bite my tongue.

I was exasperated with him already. "I have until the end of the day to decide if I am willing to be your assistant," I snapped at him, with an extra smug expression on my face. I blew a breath out the side of my mouth, that rustled some stray hairs near my face.

I didn't give him the satisfaction of knowing, I had already decided to take the new position.

He leaned over my desk close to my face. I could see hints of blue in his steel gray eyes. "I have no doubt, you will be sitting at your desk working for Shayne Carrington." He stated a little too sure of himself.

I can't do it. Who speaks in third person about themselves? He's too handsome, smells better than he should, and thinks too highly of himself. He needs to be taken down a peg or two. I could scream—he is nothing like his brother, Colin.

Copyright © 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023
Dawn Drake
All rights reserved. This story is published subject to the condition that it shall not be reproduced or retransmitted in whole or in part in any manner without permission. Any infringement of this is a violation of copyright law.

*This is purely a work of fiction, from this Author's imagination. Any characters, names, places and events are purely fictional and coincidences if they happen to resemble non-fictional persons, places or events.