23 |☣| Nightmare |☣|

A/N: As you read, please leave comments and vote (★) if you can! Fleeter needs your help to be seen and read by others. Thank you ~ 

EVE

Ouch! Sh––

Ouch! Sh––

Eve bit down on her cheek and swallowed the expletive before it made its way past her lips. The metallic taste of blood filled her mouth. She looked down. A rock protruded from the Earth and had suffered little from the collision with her toes.

"Next time, it'll be a snake. Jeez, watch where you step." Gamble's voice sounded irritated, but she noticed how he slowed down and fell behind the main group, as he waited for her to recover.

The sun was fading quickly, so the party would have to speed up a bit if they wanted to sleep in Wrothli tonight. The two of them, Gamble and Eve, were at the rear-end of the party. As it turned out, elves traveled much faster than humans. Even their gait was smoother, and they seemed to instinctively avoid the numerous holes and rocks in the ground.

She was envious.

Eve and Gamble jogged a few steps until they caught up with the nearest elves, the two girls from earlier. They were still arguing about something as they walked. It was too dark to make out their features from behind, but one had blond-hair and the other was a ginger.

"I told you Elaina, I'm all healed. So stop following me!" The ginger did not sound pleased.

The blond one answered, "You know, I can't do that."

Eve reached out tentaively and tapped the red-haired elf on the shoulder. "Excuse me. How much farther–"

When she turned around, their eyes met, and Eve's heart stopped beating. She even forgot to breathe.

I'll hide. You seek.

Flame-red hair danced at the edge of her vision. Flame-red hair to match the flame-red temper that she remembered so well.

Count to ten, are you ready?

A pert nose, upturned at the tip, like an adventurous pixie. Eve used to make fun of her for that nose.

No peeking, Eve.

A mouth that rested easily in a bright smile. She missed that smile.

Oh, look. You found me!

The eyes... Wrong.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

The stab of disappointment was almost too much to bear. The elf she was staring at had lovely bright green eyes, like the shade of a leafy canopy. But they were just wrong.

Ky had gray eyes. Clear gray eyes.

"We're here!" Gamble's voice interrupted her conversation, "Look!" He pulled her away from the elves and pointed at the polished gates in the distance.