CHAPTER 4: The Ancient Pilgrim

Eve

---------------

Surely she was dreaming.

Eve was falling in the air, but it felt more like she was being pushed and pulled by the whimsies of the wind. 

Eve looked up-she'd already reached the magnetic platform. From below, the city looked like a grid. One large magnet covered each and every square inch. They all coordinated together to form a powerful magnetic field that kept the city suspended. 

The mechanics who worked on the platform gaped with their mouths wide open as she waved merrily. There was nothing they could do. She was gone before they even had a chance to shout. 

I'm dying. I'm dying. I'm dying. I'm dying. I'm dying. I'm dying. I'm dying. Eve repeated over and over to herself as she fell faster and faster through the clouds. 

Then she heard a chirp by her side. Mojo, the sly devil, looked like he was actually enjoying himself. His wings were partly folded as he dived with an easy grace. He looked beautiful. The afternoon sun played off his shiny scales.

"You had one job." she scolded.

"To keep me from dying." 

Mojo chirped indignantly. He shot downward suddenly and Eve's eyes followed. "Oh my goodness."

A ship had appeared in below the clouds. It was the largest ship Eve had ever seen. Its decks were made of a polished cherry wood and it looked like it had at least three decks. A red-and-white flag flapped proudly from the top of the mast. 

Eve was really going fast now. She was headed straight for the ship. "Oh god, I'm going to be the next squished pigeon on that poop deck."

"Ahoy, maid!" came the call from the rigging. A clean-shaven young man was at bow. Hearing the call, he twisted the wheel expertly and the ship came around. At the stern, Eve could see a large hoop fitted with a loose piece of canvas on the inside. 

They were trying to catch her, like the way she used to catch butterflies using a net. Now that she knew where she was headed, Eve angled her feet downward and stopped fighting the wind. 

The landing was not pleasant. But Eve was too relieved to be alive to care.

"Out of the way!" The young man from earlier gestured at her frantically. 

Eve tried, but the fright she from earlier combined with her sudden relief made her legs wobbly. She couldn't even stand up. 

"Cap's next. Get up now!" Eve cast her eyes upward.

It was true. That mad captain had jumped after her. She could see his black robes billowing in the wind, giving him the appearance of a raven as he dived through the sky.

What had Nana said to her again? It something about looking where she stepped'  and 'falling' and 'breaking her neck'. Nana was never wrong. 

Eve felt strong arms come around her knees and grip her firmly. It was the captain's second-in-command...the young man from earlier.