CH 9 [NEW]: A Dangerous Dinner

THE MAYOR

Mayor Warner took the marble steps two-by-two up to her second floor office

Mayor Warner took the marble steps two-by-two up to her second floor office. No doubt Marie, her assistant, would disapprove. A mayor must always be dignified and respectable, etc. etc.

But damn respectability! If she could get somewhere more efficiently, then that's the route she'd take. Every minute, every second wasted was the time she could be spending on improving the city.

She threw open the door to the second floor, nearly avoided hitting a delivery-boy, and threw an apologetic smile at him as she speed-walked to her office.

"Marie, what news?" Her twenty-three year old assistant paused with a slice of pizza half-way in her mouth. Juliette's mouth watered. Chunky pineapples and garden-grown jalapeños scattered on a cheesy hunk of freshly-baked-

The sound of her assistant choking brought Juliette back to reality. She grabbed a plastic cup from the water cooler, filled it up to the brim, and rushed it to Marie.

"M-ma-madame mayor! Yes well. Uh. Um. Uh. Uh. Give me a second. Uh, let's see. You received an urgent message just now, let me find it..."

Marie dived in a pile of scattered papers and boxes to the side of her screen. Juliette rolled her eyes.

"Marie? Next time I get an urgent message, maybe you should move it to the top of the pile."

"Should I? Oh, I didn't think of it. Ah, I found it!"

Marie held up a small planner and flipped it open. "Show me the urgent message for the Mayor."

1 urgent message. Received at 11:53 AM Monday, March 15, 3019.

Jules, this is Martin. There's something urgent I have to talk to you about. I know... I said we'd never speak again, but Jules...it's about my boy, Chris.

Meet me for dinner at 6, our old meeting spot. Please.

Juliette's throat constricted. Martin. That golden-haired weasel. She never wanted to see his face again.

But Mayor Warner knew that wasn't an option. If Martin Longbow had contacted her through official channels, it could only mean that he had something urgent to discuss with the city mayor. And for better or worse-that was her.

She handed the planner back to Marie and started walking back out the door.

"Mayor, where're you going?"

"Home-to get dressed. I have a dinner appointment."