CH. 8 [NEW]: Pirates

Author's Note: Sorry I know it's late everyone. I just wanted to post this chapter tonight, because I promised I would. It took me ages. What can I say? Writer's block. It gets us all at some time or another. Anyway, I hope you enjoy ~

EVE

Pirates

Pirates. She took a flab of skin between two fingers and gave herself a hard pinch.

Ouch! Okay, that definitely hurt, so she was not dreaming. They were being attacked by pirates.

Eve turned back to Gamble. "Why are they attacking us?"

He gave her a look. "Are you stupid? Maybe it's because, I don't know, they're pirates. It's what they do. Loot, plunder, attack, repeat."

"Well, what should I do?"

"You can't help, so just stay out of my way."

While his tone irritated her to no degree, she had to admit that he had a point. Time to hide.

Eve let her eyes grow unfocused as she examined the deck. She wanted to be somewhere close enough to see the action, if she couldn't actually take part in it. Now where would that be?

The deck was clean of unnecessary furniture. There was no trunk she could squeeze into or hide behind. This was going to be hard... Then her eyes fell on the captain's cabin.

It was in the perfect location. Sheltered and yet, within view of the whole deck. Quickly, and before anyone noticed, she opened the door and slipped in.

It was... different from what she'd imagined. She'd expected to see maps strewn over the table, spilled ink, and cigarette butts everywhere. But in fact, it was the exact opposite. Captain Euclid's cabin was clean, neat, and orderly. The cherry wood walls was polished until they gleamed. There was not a speck of dust anywhere to be found. She peered closely at the shelf closest to the door–even the books were arranged alphabetically by author's last name. Captain Euclid must a fanatic.

Boom! A canon-blast knocked her off her feet and she collided with the bookshelf she'd been inspecting. The carefully arranged titles were scattered on the floor everywhere. Oh dear, she'd better put those back in order, before the captain found out she was in here.

But as soon as Eve got back on her feet she was knocked down again by two more canon-blasts. Better to just stay on the ground then. She managed to crawl a few inches to the desk in the middle of the room and leaned on it. Eve'd only just recovered her senses, when the door to the cabin flew open. She immediately froze and stopped breathing.

A man stood in the door. Not Captain Euclid. He was bulkier and taller, with a long scar on his right cheek. He held a sword.

He was a crew member. Eve'd seen him when she first arrived. Just what was he doing in the captain's cabin? Wasn't he supposed to be manning the deck?