Chapter 14 - Birthday Surprise

Beginne am Anfang

"Are you telling me what to do?" I snapped pulling my arm from his grip,

"No, I just don't trust that guy" he said scowling at Ethan.

"He acts like he's your boss, come on Alex it'll be too late or else" Ethan said pleading with his eyes.

"Why are you trying to take her past the security fence?" Nick shouted angrily at him,

"Why are you telling her what to do?" Ethan countered, I was so confused. What was going on? I just stood in the middle of the two boys watching as they argued with each other.

"I'm only telling her what to do because it affects her safety" Nick shouted trying to get closer to me, but Ethan moved in front blocking him. This was getting out of hand.

"Ethan. I should go back with Nick. He's my bodyguard. I'll have to see the surprise some other time. Sorry." I explained and I started to walk past him towards Nick.

"No" Ethan shouted grabbing my hand and pulling me towards the post. Nick stepped forward and punched him in the face knocking him to the ground. Just then a number of men ran out of the forest toward us.

One guy charged at me grabbing me from behind, I pushed my heel down on to his toe viciously making him release me. Instinct took over, me and Nick stood back to back as the men surrounded us, there must have been over twenty.

"I hate it when I'm right, maybe now you'll listen to me" Nick complained,

"When are you ever right?" I asked,

"Just now," he explained.

"That's once. It doesn't count"

"It only takes one to make a difference" he countered,

"Let's argue about this later" I suggested as the men prepared to attack,

"Deal." he agreed blocking the first blow.

Working back to back we began to fight off the men, blocking blows left, right and centre.

"This isn't fair, it's two against twenty and I have a girl on my team" Nick complained as he struggled with a man who had grabbed him.

"I resent that, I'm doing better than you." I yelled as I spun around kicking the man in the side, freeing Nick.

"Who's counting?" he asked sheepishly continuing to fight,

"Me. So far it's 3-1" I said punching a guy in the nose then sweeping his legs from under him, hearing a deathly crack as he landed hard on the ground. "Make that 4-1," I boasted. "I thought you were meant to be protecting me not the other way around" I added with a smile. Another guy grabbed me from behind and I moved forward throwing him over my body before knocking him out with a blow to the head. I turned to see Nick fending off three more guys, he punched the first, elbowed the second and kicked the third, knocking them all down. "Okay 5-4" I corrected, turning to punch another guy. This guy was quite big and managed to hit me in my stomach making me bend over in pain. Nick jumped in and sent a powerful kick to the guy's delicate area. Checking I was alright before boasting that it was now 5-5. By this time the other agents had noticed what was happening and had come out to help. Within seconds most of the men had ran off back into the forest, but the agents managed to arrest Ethan and the ten guys that were knocked out or wounded on the floor.

"Ethan" Mr Hill said astonished, "You were the mole this whole time" he said, as two agents held him in front of us.

"I don't understand. I thought we were friends?" I said slightly upset that I had been played by him. Why had I trusted him?

"You're easy to fool, a few cookies and some nice words is all it took, don't cry about it little girl" Ethan snarled as he glared at me.

"Not the best choice of words" Nick said with a small shake of his head knowing what I was about to do. I stepped forward and punched Ethan hard in the nose, he cried out in pain and I watched happily as blood poured down his face,

"Told you" Nick said as an agent dragged him away clutching his nose.

"I think that makes it 6-5" I said smiling at Nick, we walked back inside surrounded by a group of agents.

My dad returned half an hour later giving me a huge hug the second he saw me. He refused to leave my side for the rest of the day, obviously he was scared of anything else happening to me. We played some more monopoly before dinner, then he told me that it was time for my birthday surprise.

"I don't think I want another surprise" I mumbled as we walked down one of the corridors stopping outside a bolted door. "Where are we?" I asked confused,

"I've been thinking about this for a while and I've decided to allow it. Just for today. You're sixteen and I guess you're not a little girl any more" he said as the door opened and we walked in. "Happy birthday Lexy" he cried and I saw what my surprise was.

"I get to shoot?" I cried excited jumping up and down on the spot. There was a number of targets and two guns, set on a small table. Dad was obviously still nervous about letting me use a gun, but he knew how much I wanted to try it.

For the next two hours we had the whole firing room to ourselves and dad taught me how to shoot without hurting myself. I was actually quite good at it. I got the target every time. However I decided that shooting wasn't as exciting as I had originally thought and dad was very happy that I didn't want to pursue it further.

********************************************************************************************

Just the epilogue left now. 

As always vote, comment and give feedback :)