Chapter 14 - Birthday Surprise

Hi everyone, this is practically the last chapter

EDITED 28/06/2015

********************************************************************************************

Chapter 14 - Birthday Surprise

I counted down the days to my birthday until it was finally here. Nick and I had kept to our agreement and had learned to work together without wanting to kill each other. Dad had been happy with my progress and so had Mrs Pointon, they had decided to give me the day off as a birthday treat. Therefore it was eleven o'clock by the time I woke up and I was currently eating some pizza that dad had left on my desk with a note,

Morning birthday Girl,

Sorry I'm not there to wish you a happy birthday, but I have some important leads to follow up this morning. I have got you some pizza for breakfast, which is in no way a bribe, to stop you from killing me for being a lousy dad and not seeing you this morning.

Will be back in time to give you your birthday surprise.

Love dad. X

Wondering what my surprise might be, I walked down the corridor deciding to see Ethan for a while. He always made my day a little bit brighter.

"Why, hello there birthday girl" he called as I walked in, "How does it feel to be sixteen? Is it sweet?" he asked making me laugh,

"Well it's boring so far" I said, pulling my face.

"How are you at eating while walking?" he asked opening his snack draw and pulling out a giant cupcake, covered in chocolate icing with sprinkles on top, creating a number sixteen. A huge smile spread across my face, "Because I have a surprise for you, but it's that way" he continued, pointing to the door.

"Well for a cupcake I will walk anywhere," I said taking it from his hand and following him out of the door and taking a big bite.

Once I'd finished munching on the cake I looked around and noticed that we'd walked outside, it was a lovely sunny day and I smiled at the heat on my face. I had been cooped up inside for so long it felt good to breath in the fresh air. We walked off the dirt path and into a large field.

"Where are you taking me?" I asked seeing nothing but grass and trees in the distance.

"Do you not know the meaning of a surprise?" he asked taking hold of my arm and moving me a little quicker through the field.

We walked closer to the trees stopping at a large metal post, I gazed into the forest intrigued as I noticed movement. Ethan stepped closer to the post and bent down removing a panel from the side. I looked over his shoulder to see that he was cutting a number of wires with some plyers.

"What's that?" I asked starting to feel nervous being out in the open.

"Nothing, come on" he said standing up and beckoning me past the post and toward the tree line.

"Is that the electric fence?" I asked staying in the same spot,

"Do you want your surprise or not?" he asked.

Before I could decide what to do I heard someone yell, turning I saw Nick sprinting towards us, "What are you doing? You're not allowed out here." He shouted getting closer,

"Ethan has a birthday surprise for me" I explained with a smile as he reached us.

"Come back inside with me." Nick said grapping my arm.