I Like The Way That Your Face Looks When You're Yapping On About Him

/ / I L I K E T H E W A Y T H A T Y O U R F A C E L O O K S W H E N Y O U ' R E Y A P P I N G O N A B O U T H I M / /

"We want to have another baby," Daddy says as soon as I answer his Skype call, and Jamie suddenly mutes the TV and Anna turns off the stove and suddenly they're both crowded on either side of me, trying to fit into the frame.

"What?" I ask the same time Anna mumbles, "you should have just had phone sex with Matty, this is ridiculous."

Daddy frowns at this, "Who the hell is Matty?"

"Why do you want another child?" Jamie asks, saving me, and flicking Anna outside of the frame, "Are we not good enough for you Dev?"

Daddy bites his lips and looks only a little guilty, "We love you...but you aren't our babies anymore...you're all grown, and would it really be that bad?"

"But..." I trail off; I probably must look stricken. I'm not jealous. It's just that, I've always been an only child... I...I'm kind of jealous, okay.

"We're not replacing you, Princess, we just...we think it's about time, right? Like, you'll be off to university and we'll need someone to keep us busy and I mean, we're already in Vietnam, and –"

"Dev, are you talking to Marcy? Did you tell her about Ella?" another voice cuts my dad off and he comes into view. Daddy has to play around with the lighting; I've always found it funny how the most problematic thing they've ever come across as a couple was finding a good exposure that didn't make Daddy seem extremely dark or Papa look extremely pale.

"Ella?" I squeak, "You've named her already?"

Papa's eyes widen before looking at Daddy then back to the screen, "You don't know...? Marcy...We already adopted her." Daddy looks guilty as Papa stares him down.

"She never answered my calls..." he shrinks down and I let out a squeak of indignation.

Papa glances back at the screen, his big blue eyes crinkled slightly, his cheeks getting flushed as he runs a hand over his very ginger hair, "Mars, you look like your imitating a fish." Jamie snorts at this and I shove him out of the frame, in fact, he ends up on the floor, taking Anna with him. There's yelling in the background, but the three of us ignore my roommate and best friend, and also the fact that I've been said to resemble a fish way too often this week.

"I'm...in shock, I think," I mumble. Daddy reaches his hand over then puts it down, seeming to realize we were talking via the Internet, and he can't actually touch me.

"Do you want to see her?" Papa finally asks after much thought and a wave of silence that no one quite knew how to fill (other than Jamie and Anna who were still bickering).

"You already adopted her," I confirm, sending a look to Daddy, who has some decency to look a bit bashful.

Papa goes off screen and there's a bit of rustling, Daddy looks to me, "How's school going, love?"

I raise an eyebrow, "It's summer, Daddy..."

"Right...god, I'm such a shite father, I should have told you before we even adopted her, but it was so split second and I always call at the wrong times – you know I'm not good with time zones – and I thought sending a text would be a lot less sentimental and –"

"Dad," cut him off with a sigh, "it's fine, I love you, you're the best Dad in the world –"

"Hey!" I here from my papa, "what about me?"

"There can't be two best dads in the world, Mitch," Daddy teases.

Papa grumbles something that sounds a bit like, "Yeah, we'll see who's the best dad tonight," and I think it sounds only a little bit suggestive and that's enough for me to cringe away.