Breaking The News: Part Two

One Thousand Miles

Chapter  |  Breaking The News

Part  |  Two

The long drive to John's parents' house was quiet and comfortable. When we finally did arrive to his parents' home I had suddenly become very excited. I couldn't wait to tell Michael and Alexandria the good news. Since I couldn't tell me own parents that they would soon become grandparents the next best thing was telling John's parents. 

"Are you ready?" whispered in my ear as he helped me out the car. I sighed before giving his hand a light squeeze and smiling up at him. He smiled down at me before moving his eyes downward to my outfit. "You look beautiful tonight, might I say."

I blush and look down at our joint hands before looking back him. "Yes I'm ready and thanks, you look handsome in your suit." I lightly pat his chest and he chuckles before pulling me towards the large oak doors. As we get closer to the door I can hear voice coming from inside and I'm sure John can too. He grins down at me before reaching for the doorbell and pressing the button. The bell rings throughout the house and all voices lower. The sound of heels clicking across the marble floor caused me to straighten up and I placed my free hand on my slightly round belly.

When the doors swung open revealing a grinning Alexandria a huge grin broke out on my face too. "Oh it's so nice to see you two!"

John and I looked at each other before laughing. "Mom you act like we haven't seen you in years. We saw you only a few months ago."

I try to keep my tears from falling down my face, but it's harder than I thought. I tried to think about something else other than my family who I haven't seen in more than four years. I blink away my tears and look up at Alexandria with a sad smile.

"Oh, Stephanie is everything okay?" she asks as she cups my face in her hands. I don't trust my voice just yet so I slowly nod my head and force a bigger smile on my face. She smiles back before placing a light kiss on my forehead. "Sweetie you looked like you were about to cry."

I sigh and just shake my head. "Everything is fine I promise."

She nods her head before motioning towards the inside of the house. John lightly squeezes my hand and pulls me into the house. I hear a light gasp come from Alexandria mouth when I pass her and I instantly know she has noticed my pregnant belly. John and I stop and look around at the familiar sculptures and new pictures hanging up on the wall before turning towards a teary eyed Alexandria.

"So I see you've got new---" John started, but was cut off by his mother.

"So this is what this party is about? You're....pregnant?" she asks me even though she and I both knew the answer.

I open my mouth and look down at my stomach and rub it in small circles before looking back up at her and smile. I nod my head and a few happy tears stream down her cheek. "Yes, Alexandria I'm pregnant."

Before I could say anything else she brought me in for a tight hug. I laugh and wrap my arms around her as she hugs me tighter. Once we finally pull away I can't help but smile along with her. "Oh sweetie, words can't explain how happy I am. I am so happy that I'm going to be a grandmother soon, but what I'm happier about is the fact that you're going to be the mother of my grandchild."

I smile and look back at John who's looking at me with admiration in his eyes. I look back and grin widely. "Thanks Alexandria. You have no idea how much that means to me."

She nods her head and places her hand on my shoulder. "Well we should probably head into dining room. I'm everyone is wondering what is taking us so long."