House Party: Part One

One Thousand Miles

Chapter  |  House Party

Part  |  One

Halloween has got to be the worst holiday of the year. One because some people's costumes just freak me out, and two, you just earned a one way ticket to the dentist. As a child my parents would always force me to come trick-or-treating no matter how many times I begged them to let me stay home. They would always say, "Oh come on it'll be fun!" Trust me when I say it is never fun for me. Usually by the end of the night I have tears streaming down my face, I am shaking with fear, and my underwear is most likely soiled.

When Tanya came skipping in the living room with a gigantic smile on her face, I was amused, but when she told me about the costume party going on at Tyler's apartment I freaked out. I waited until Tanya left to cry my eyes out. Why was I crying? I had no clue. I don't know why Tanya was inviting me anyways; she was just going to get drunk in less than five minutes then leave me to go have a quickie with Tyler in the bathroom. Well I'm just assuming that's what she will do since we haven't been to any parties...

If what I was thinking was true then I was going to need somebody else there to get me through the night. Almost instantly somebody's face popped into my head. John. Over this past month I have come to notice that he is the type of person who likes to keep to himself. The only people he is comfortable around are his family and I of course. Even though John, Tanya, and I have our little movies nights back at our dorm, he isn't really comfortable. While on our one of very many dates, he came out and told me he didn't like Tanya, so inviting him to this party was going to be pretty tough considering these were Tanya's friends and not mine. I'm sure most of them are just like her.

So, that morning I made sure to put on something that would get his attention. I wore a white spaghetti strap blouse, a black form fitting pencil skirt, with a pair of black pumps. Maybe I was taking this party a little too serious, but I knew Tanya wouldn't like the idea of me staying home, but at the same time I didn't like the idea of being by myself at a party full of people I didn't know.

After applying some smoky eye shadow and deep red lip lipstick, I grabbed my handbag and quickly made my way outside to my car. I still had the red Toyota Camry my parents had got me for my sixteenth birthday. This car was my first and meant the whole world to me.

Sighing as I shoved my car keys into the ignition, I suddenly noticed my hair in the rear view mirror. It was up in a stylish elegant bun, but it didn't go well with what I was wearing and the plan. Without thinking twice I brought my hand up and pulled my hair out of the bun it was sitting in. I fixed it up a bit so it wouldn't look like I had just got out of bed, before putting my car in reverse and slowly backing out of the parking space.

It was going to take me at least forty-five minutes to get to the city---not including traffic---so I knew it would be best if I went and got me something to eat. I quickly stopped by a Chinese restaurant  not that far from my dorm and ordered some food for myself and John. By the time I arrived there it should be lunchtime, so hopefully he doesn't take his lunch break too early.

The next forty-five minutes consisted of me driving down the highway blasting Madonna's album American Life. I played the album at least two times before I finally arrived in front of John's father's company. It sat almost in the middle of New York City, but not quite. The law firm my father worked at was just a few buildings down, so I didn't get lost.

I quickly look down at my watch before grabbing the food out the passenger seat and making my way inside. Once I was inside I walked over towards the receptionist who looked like she was having the time of her life on the phone. I cleared my throat, but she only glanced up at me before continuing on with her conversation. She looked like she was in her early twenties and had just gotten out of college so she was pretty lucky to have this job.