A Cry For Help: Part Two

One Thousand Miles

Chapter  |  A Cry For Help

Part  |  Two

The party looked like he had started about forty-five minutes ago, but we were just now arriving. Every event that John and I attended that had something to do with his job, we were always late. It didn't make a difference though because the party wouldn't end until twelve and it was on thirty minutes until ten.

Of course John kept me glued to his side like always. Well before the abuse started he'd let me roam for a while, but after I was finished roaming I'd be right back at his side. At the time I didn't think anything of it, but now it was a whole different story. 

"Would you like anything to drink?" John whispered in my ear as we sat down at an empty table in the middle of the room. We were only expecting John's parents to sit with us, but we had three extra chairs if anybody decided to come over and talk to us.

I looked up at John then back down to my hands which were covered by my white sweater sleeve. "Water please."

"Okay I'll wave a waiter over," he says.

I just nod my head before looking back up. I look around the room and notice everybody smiling and having a great time except for me. Everybody was dancing or laughing with the people at their table. They were having fun.

I'm suddenly brought out of my thoughts when a glass of water is placed in front of me. I look up at John and he's watching me as he takes a huge gulp of his champagne. "Drink up."

I mumble an okay before wrapping my skinny fingers around my glass. I take a small sip out of the water before placing it back down on the table. Just then two familiar faces appeared behind the two empty chairs next to John. They both smile down at John and I and we smile back.

"Mom, dad, so glad you could make!" he says as he stands up from his chair.

"Oh, sweetie we wouldn't miss it for the world! Plus we haven't seen Stephanie in a while and I just miss seeing her beautiful face!" John's mother says.

I grin widely at the two of them before standing up and pulling them in for a hug. "Alexandria, Michael, it is so nice to see you two again. It has been a while hasn't it?"

Michael chuckles and nods his head. "A few months, right?"

I nod my head before sitting down next to John once again. He and his parents quickly fall into a conversation while I just sit there and look around. I ended up finishing my water at some point, but John finished off a few more glasses of champagne before that happened.

As I'm sitting there bored out of my mind, I suddenly feel at soft tap on my shoulder. I look back and notice a man who looked to be around John's age grinning down at me. I open my mouth to say something, but John beats me to it.

"What are you doing?" John asks with a slight slur. I could tell he wasn't fully drunk, but he was most likely a little tipsy.

The man above me continues to grin down at me before he grins over at John. "So this is the famous Stephanie Schmidt I've heard so much about?" he asks as he looks down at me again. He bites his bottom lip and hisses. "I didn't think she was going to be this beautiful. She is one piece of eye candy. Douglas Jefferson, nice to meet you."

I blush when he grabs my hand and slowly brings the back of it up to his lips. He looks me right in the eye as he plants a lingering kiss on the back of it. He doesn't take his off of me even after pulling away and taking a seat next to me. "Um...hi?" I say quietly.