Our Song (22)

"We actually have two new students today," Ms. Cassidy announced before she could start class. I nearly groaned, pretty sure I already knew who one of them was. "This is Thomas Solo and Elias Green. They will be in this class for the rest of the year."

I glanced behind my shoulder at the empty seat behind me. I could only hope that Ms. Cassidy wouldn't seat Thomas there. He would have made the rest of my art class life a living hell.

"Elias," our pregnant teacher started now, waddling toward my desk, "you can sit behind Leah, right over there. And Thomas, you can sit next to Jane, who's sitting next to your brother over there."

Well, I was sure that that was going to go well.

"Two new students in one day, huh?" I asked, mostly to myself, even though I knew this Elias guy could hear me as he walked right by me and to his seat. "If I'm lucky, this one will be an asshole, too."

"Hey," Elias said from behind me, and I was surprised to hear an English accent. And luckily, he sounded more amused than offended. "Who told you that I was an asshole?"

I turned around to face him, seeing that he had a large grin across his face. Okay, so that definitely didn't make him look like an asshole, but just because he had a pretty smile didn't mean he wasn't a jerk.

"So that guy can listen to music, but everyone else can't?" Elias asked, and amused eyebrow raised on his forehead as he looked over at Blake. He had been wearing his headphones during sixth period, so I wasn't surprised to see that he was now wearing them in seventh. "One of the rules I was given was that we couldn't listen to music during class."

"He has a good reason," I merely shrugged, not about to give anything away.

"And that is?"

"Not something I can tell you."

Elias laughed. "Funny. You're funny."

I didn't exactly see how what I had said had been funny, but I wasn't about to argue with him. Elias didn't seem like a bad guy, so I wasn't going to pin him as one until I got to know him more.

"So, do you know that guy?" Elias now asked me once I didn't say anything back to him calling me funny.

"You could say that," I simply said, not about to tell some stranger about everything that had been happening between Blake and me. "He's my partner for a project in our English class."

He blinked. "You two friends?"

I glanced over at Blake to see that he was looking over at us. I quickly looked back at Elias as I said, "I guess."

"You're very mysterious with your answers," Elias smirked now, and I only shrugged again. There was really nothing I could say about Blake at that moment. "It makes me think you're hiding something."

I shrugged for the umpteenth time. "Maybe I am, maybe I'm not. That's just something you're going to have to find out."

He smirked at me, and I found myself smiling back at him. I could see Blake frowning at us from the corner of my eye, but it only made me want to talk to Elias even more. Maybe I could actually be friends with this guy.

"Is there a reason why he keeps looking over here?" Elias now asked, and I wasn't about to answer that question either. Considering the fact that no one knew that Blake and I had been dating, I didn't want anyone knowing that we were now no longer dating.

"No clue," I sighed, picking up my pencil now so I could draw a car like Ms. Cassidy had just told us to. I was pretty sure Elias didn't even hear her. "Just because he's staring in this direction doesn't mean he's staring at us. Stop being such an egomaniac."