Our Song (5)

I hadn't ever liked football. I didn't know if it was because I was a girl, or because Sean had ruined it for me. I'd grown up with my father watching football all the time, and I had just never grown to like it very much.

"Don't Sean and Derrick look hot?" Cassie gushed, nearly melting right off the bleachers.

"They're wearing helmets," I reminded her flatly, rolling my eyes as I looked away from the field. "I can't tell who is who, so I know you can't."

She shrugged. "All the guys down there are hot. Sean's the best looking though. Derrick is a close second."

"Then why don't you just date Sean?" I snapped at her. "You seem very willing to."

"He doesn't like me like that." She sighed dramatically, and I felt like pulling my hair out. Cassie was just as pretty as I was, maybe even prettier. The only reason Sean liked me more was because he knew me longer. "He only sees me as a friend. But he really likes you, Leah! Maybe he even loves you!"

I wrinkled my nose and made a face. "He doesn't love me."

"You never know," Leslie piped up from beside us, finally looking up from her book and pushing her glasses up the bridge of her nose. "I mean, you've known him for six years. Since you've known him since you were kids, it's possible that he's in love with you."

I didn't think that it was very possible for a guy like Sean to fall in love with anyone other than himself. He may have been interested in me,but he was totally in love with himself.

"You should probably stop pushing her, Cassie," Leslie said, going back to her book and completely ignoring what was happening on the field. "If she doesn't like Sean, she doesn't like Sean."

"But what about you, huh?" Cassie smirked, completely ignoring what Leslie had said as she leaned closer to her. "You're partnered up with Derrick Smith, the hottest junior and the second hottest guy in school. You have to be excited about that, right?"

I could tell that Cassie wasn't happy that Leslie had become partners with Derrick, because she had been crushing on him ever since elementary school. She wanted me to date Sean, and then she wanted herself to date Derrick. She never expected Derrick and Leslie were going to have to spend time together.

It was obvious that Leslie was excited about being partnered with Derrick, but that wasn't much of a surprise. Anyone would have been excited to be partnered with one of the most popular guys in school.

"Yeah, sure I'm excited," Leslie shrugged, not even looking up from her book. That didn't make it look like she was excited at all. "It's better than being partnered up with Danny Duncan."

This was true.

I knew that Leslie liked Derrick, but Cassie didn't seem to notice at all. She was too busy pining after Derrick herself or trying to get me to go out with Sean that she barely noticed anything about Leslie.

Though I was with my friends, I was starting to get really bored. Cassie would gush over every guy and Leslie would read. I did absolutely nothing but look around for something, anything, to save me from this boredom.

My eyes lit up when I saw someone walking toward the parking lot. I jumped up from my spot in the bleachers, gaining the attention of my two best friends.

"Leah!" Cassie squawked. "Where are you going?"

I was hoping that she wasn't loud enough for Sean to hear, but this didn't stop me from continuing down the bleachers and toward the person I wanted to stop.

"Blake," I greeted even though he couldn't hear me, and I grabbed onto his shoulder to stop him from walking. He turned around, and I smiled at him. "Are you heading home?"