Our Song (20)

Just like always, I didn't hurry on my way to school. It was the same as every other morning, so I thought nothing of it. It wasn't like me to get there early, and all my friends knew that already, so they never even asked me to meet them before school because they knew I wouldn't be there.

I just never looked forward to just a regular day at school. Little did I know that that day was no normal one.

I started up the steps to the entrance, but was stopped before I could get to the doors. I looked up at Sean, who was blocking my path, and neither of us said anything to each other at first. I was thinking about just passing him by without even acknowledging him, but I was pretty sure that I had hurt him enough already.

"Sean," I greeted, not wanting to be rude to him. If it was any normal day with him, I wouldn't have even minded being rude to him, but after everything he had said to me, I knew that I probably should have acted kindly toward him if I knew what was best for me.

"Leah," he greeted right back to me.

"Is there something you need to tell me or can I go inside?" I asked him now, not even caring about sounding rude anymore. "It's cold out here, Sean. Hurry up and talk to me or let me move along."

"I decided that I'm not going to give you up so easily," he began suddenly, his eyebrows furrowing at me. "I'll steal you from Blake Solo even if it's the last thing I ever do."

And just when I started to feel bad for him for the first time in the time that I had known him, he decides to go back to his old ways by chasing after me again. Did he seriously think that I would leave Blake, who I loved more than anything, for him?

"Don't think it's going to be an easy thing to do," I advised, knowing very well that there was really nothing he could do to ever take me away from Blake. "I don't just like Blake, Sean, I love him. And I really don't think there's anything that you can do to change that."

Sean smirked his regular smirk that I had come to know. "We'll see about that."

He let me by then, which was the only thing that I was grateful to him for. It really was cold outside, and I hated Sean just a little more for making me stand out there for longer than I already had to.

I didn't see Blake before class started, but that was normal. I usually got to school when the bell was about to ring unless I had something to do, and I was pretty sure Blake got there earlier, even though I didn't know why. But when the bell rang, signaling that we had to go to first period, I groaned. My feet felt way too numb for dance class.

And my ears were already numb enough from the cold. I didn't need Cassie gabbing on and on about whatever was on her mind. Maybe if I lied and said I was sick, Ms. Bencherelli would let me stay out.

But luckily, Ms. Bencherelli wasn't even at school that day, so we had a substitute. It was an old woman that was nearly blind and didn't even know when class ended, so the class period was pretty much a free day for all of us.

"Do you think Sean's been acting differently lately?" Cassie asked me as we both sat on the floor just like the rest of the students. "He's been acting really weird to me. I was wondering if you knew anything about it."

I stared at my best friend since childhood flatly, wishing that I really was sick so I didn't have to sit through this for an hour. I just didn't understand why every conversation Cassie and I had just had to be about Sean or how much she hated Blake Solo.

"I don't know why he's been acting weird," I answered in an almost robotic tone, too used to the same questions and answers when it came to Cassie. "I'm not the person you should be asking, Cassie."