sixteen. new beginnings

I'm back after god knows how long.

  »»————- ☆ ————-««

( sixteen. new beginnings )

»»————- ☆ ————-««

Natasha took a look at herself in the mirror. She looked like hell. She hadn't slept peacefully for days, and the dark bags under her eyes were becoming more prominent with each morning she woke up to. Not even her newly chopped blonde hair was enough of a disguise to cover how tired she is.

Her eyes dropped to the phone on the countertop, and she had to huff a dry laugh at how pathetic the situation showing on her screen was.

More guards kept coming, searching for where she stood.

"Natasha Romanoff is in violation of the Sokovia Accords," Ross' voice sounded throughout the building, through her phone as she monitored the live footage. "She assaulted the king of Wakanda. Make an example out of her."

Natasha rolled her eyes. "Let them try," she muttered under her breath before dialing a number. 

He immediately picked up on the second ring. "Yeah?" She heard Ross' voice on the other end.

"Don't do this," she demanded, and her tone was more intended to sound as a warning than a request.

She could practically smell his overbearing ego all the way from here when he scoffed and retorted, "Do what?"

"Come after me," Natasha said dryly, tossing a discarded candy wrapper into the trash bin. She continued, quite mockingly, "I mean, you're embarrassing yourself. It looks desperate."

"Thought maybe you'd be calling me to cut a deal," Ross replied evenly, ushering the guards to follow the cell signal. "'Cause from my vantage point, it's the federal fugitive who's desperate."

Natasha, not sounding the least bit threatened, even had the will to ridicule him, "From my vantage point, you look like you could use some bed rest. What is this, your second triple bypass?"

"Oh, I wouldn't worry about me." Ross said nonchalantly, and he just sounded so assured of himself that Natasha wanted to smack him so hard in the head. "We got Barton, we got Wilson and that other guy, the incredible shrinking convict."

Natasha smirked. Obviously Ross wasn't yet aware of the current whereabouts of the people he just mentioned, "Are you sure about that?" she asked slyly.

"Your boyfriend's on the run." Ross ignored her as he pointed out, and she almost lost her composure at the mention of him, it's a good thing Ross couldn't see her. "And last time I heard, things haven't been smooth with you lately." 

She deflected the topic, "So are we going to talk about my personal life now?"

Ross laughed humorlessly, "You've got no friends, Romanoff," his tone dropped, "So, where you gonna go?

Natasha swallowed the lump in her throat. "I've lived a lot of lives before I met you, Ross." She said, putting on her hoodie. "You shouldn't have gone to all this trouble. I'm done."

"Romanoff—" 

She hanged up, and stepped outside the door to get a nice view of the mountains of Norway in a lone ship in the sea. Hugging the hoodie she was wearing closer to her body, she melted in its warmth. And she loved it even more because this was Steve's, and the scent of him remained and reminded her of him more.

Her fingers reach out to touch the nape of her neck, where her missing necklace used to be around, and she felt her stomach twisted and clench at the idea that it was a symbol of everything that she and Steve was.