three. agree to disagree

»»————- ☆ ————-««

( three. agree to disagree )

»»————- ☆ ————-««

Natasha and Steve arrived at the meeting and found that everyone was seated at a long table already. They all waited in silence for the spy and the soldier to join them before starting their agenda.

They didn't miss the disapproving looks they gained from Tony and Sam though, to which they just shrugged it off.

"Ah, Captain, Miss Romanoff, glad of you to finally join us." Ross gave them a short smile. She couldn't tell if it was genuine or sarcasm. Probably the latter.

Steve took a seat at the far end of the table, while she took the seat in front of him.

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack and dropped right in the middle of my backswing. Turned out it was the best thing of my life, because after thirteen hours of surgery and a triple bypass. I found something forty years in the army never taught me- perspective." Ross started to say.

Natasha didn't know if Secretary Ross was trying to start the mood lightly enough for them to bear with the real deal later on. And she certainly didn't know if he was serious once he started doing silly actions while telling them the story.

From the corner of her eye, she could see Steve silently watching Ross, all playfulness he had earlier was nowhere to be found.

"The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt." Ross continued, finally, his tone now becoming more serious. "You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives... but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some who would prefer the word, vigilantes."

"What word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" she interjected.

He narrowed his eyes, answering nonchalantly, "How about dangerous?"

She had an inkling feeling that he'd say that.

"What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals, who routinely ignore sovereign borders, and inflict their will wherever they choose?" He asked them, but no one dared answered. "And who frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?"

They watched as Ross went to show them a file on the screen. At first, it showed them a map with a lot of landmarks and distinct yellow points marking a few places. She immediately recognized it as the following places that they've been through for the previous years.

These were the places the Avengers went on their missions together.

It zoomed in on one mark.

"New York," Immediately after Ross said that, the video of them fighting the Chitauri came into view. A lot of people could be heard screaming and running in terror. While some, unfortunately, were dragged down by the various explosions and buildings collapsing in the scene.

It was very distinct that it was their doing when Hulk suddenly came out and smashed the building to pieces. Not caring that there were still people down there.