34. Lifeline

Thank you for 2K reads! Abs, for reading this far

***

XAVIER

"Get off yer ass kid," Kenny snarls, throwing me a pillow that smells of herbs and tar. "Ye been on that couch fer hours. Get up. Train."

"I haven't gone to school for a week, I don't want to go home—"

"Y'ain't got any damn time to sit around like this, Xavier!" he shouts, splitting whatever words I was about to say in two. "I can't have ya here forever. Quit bein' a child and go home."

His statement stuns me. Kenny is an old man, but it's hard to get him angry unless you did something he really didn't like. My only question is: what the hell did I do?

"What is stuck up your ass?" I growl, furrowing my brows at him.

He slaps my arm, waits for me to move over for him, and takes a seat on the couch next to me. "Ya got a fight comin' up this Friday, and ye ain't doin' shit."

He has a point there, but he doesn't get it. I'm not able to fight, mostly because I'm not able to think.

The only thing that my mind can't get off of is Delta, which means my thinking ability has completely malfunctioned. That girl makes me feel... she makes me feel, and now that I fucked everything up, I can't feel a thing.

"The police er looking for ya, kid. I can't have ye here when they find ya."

So Delta was right: my dad is looking for me. I should've just believed her.

"I'm messed up," I say, glaring down at myself.

"Aren't we all?" Kenny adds, giving me a sympathetic pat on the back. He isn't a sentimental man, but he's supportive; the metal beams in any bridge. "Ya gotta face yer fears, boy. That, or try 'n get yer mind off of yer own mistakes."

Kenny gets up from the couch, taking all his comfort with him. "I gotta head out fer the day. Watch the gym for me." He tosses me the keys to his place and I nod my head, trying not to act surprised at the sudden responsibility.

Face my fears... face my father? I wish I could, but I fucking can't. Even if he did care about me, even if he did send out search parties, call the police, all for me... will I be able to see him again?

I punched the guy and ran out of the house. I doubt he'll want to see me after what I'd done.

Reaching for my phone in the pocket of my sweatpants, I turn it on and search through my contacts before calling someone in particular.

"Hey—I know, I know, I'm sorry. For everything. Can we please pick up where we left off? I want to see you again."

I hear a giggle on the other end, and it grips my heart and squeezes. What I am about to do is unforgivable, but Kenny is right. I need to get my mind off everything, even if it's just for one night.