27. A Little Thing Called Life

I just wanted to thank you for reading up to chapter 28 (and hopefully, beyond!) Enjoy the rest of the book <3

***

The sight of two bodies pressed up against each other makes me scream on the spot.

"Oh god!" I cover my eyes and turn away, hoping to erase the image of Sarah sticking her tongue down some dude's throat out of my head. "I'm sorry—erm I'll leave..."

I begin to turn away, wishing the ground would swallow me up whole. Unfortunately the lighting in the club is dark, and it isn't much different in the back room of Shell Shock either. I accidentally stub my toe on something trying to grab the door handle.

"Delta—is that you?" Sarah hisses.

The sickly sound of her lips and someone else's pulling apart is impossible to ignore, yet I'm no where near the door to leave. Especially when I feel a hand pull at my forearm and tug me backwards, nearly making me trip over my own feet.

I lift my hand from my eyes and meet with a rock hard glare.

"Sarah!" I say, pretending I didn't know it was her making out with a stranger. "I didn't—"

"Have you been crying?" she interrupts, her deathly stare turning into a gaze of pity. I yank my arm from her grasp and rip my eyes away from her.

Daniel is standing behind Sarah, the top half of his shirt savagely unbuttoned and his hair tangled into a mess. He smells strongly of cologne and now that I think about it, Sarah does too.

"Daniel?" I question, narrowing my eyes at him.

He turns away, looking at the floor after he gives me a shy wave. The look on his face screams guilt.

"Delta, are you okay?" Sarah asks, interrupting my little stare sesh.

I run my fingers under my bloodshot eyes. "I'm fine Sarah," I snap.

She backs away from me, giving me the space I want but don't need. Her and Louise are the only people that can comfort me right now. Yet here I am, pushing Sarah away after I had tried to avoid Louise the entire night.

"So you two, huh?" I ask, trying to shift all the attention away from me.

Sarah looks back at Daniel, and the expression of hurt on her face suddenly disappears to form one absolutely full of charm. "Yeah."

Daniel looks back at her, the edges of his mouth curling upwards into a smile. He stays silent, but I can still see the hint of a blush under the dark lighting of the room. Two rows of perfect teeth gleam like stars in the night sky.