26. Unchangeable, Irreplaceable

XAVIER

XAVIER

It's not like I haven't stayed awake the entire night thinking about her. I got some sleep, an hour or two, before I woke up this morning with impossibly dark bags under my swollen eyes.

Having sex on a school night has insane consequences, for example: looking exhausted during every one of my classes.

She was right from the start: I never commit; I never make promises; I want everything without putting any effort into getting it. She was right but she defied those laws, and I was stuck having to chase her until she fell in love with me.

I caught her. I ran after her like a child chasing the prettiest butterfly in the field, and I finally caught her.

"I was thinking, maybe it would be a better fit if Jarred was team captain instead of Tyler—"

Samuel is my main buddy (second to Kenny of course,) but I can't seem to focus on whatever he's saying at the moment. I allow my head a quick nod, pretending I know what he's talking about when I actually have no clue what he's saying.

"Jacob's an okay quarterback I guess, but he's a wayward snob. He thinks he should be captain, but I beg to differ—"

Again, I'm not listening, and I nod my head as if I give a flying fuck about what he's saying. I'm guessing he's talking about football, which I am in no way a part of, but I pretend to listen anyways.

I've concluded her hair is a sombre brown. A shade that gleams a beautiful gold in the sunlight, but a honey-umber when seen from afar. Her skin is tan and soft, her lips full and sweet. Her eyes are big, round and beautiful.

"You look like a dumbass with those glasses. Dude, take them off—"

Samuel's palm comes in contact with with the skin of my temple but on instinct, I whip his arm behind his back and hold it firm in place.

"Woah dude, calm your tits. I was just grabbing your useless glasses," Samuel snaps, using most of his strength to push me away.

It takes a second or two for me to let go. I don't realize what I'm doing until he glares at me with the most infuriated look on his face. His anger heats his skin, and the warm blush of rage is evident on his cheeks.

We're both the same height: 6'1" and full of muscle. Sam is of a bulkier stature, while mine is a little more lean and stretched.

"We're not going to fight," Sam starts. "Breaks the bro code. But seriously." Sam bends down to pick up my glasses, which fell off during my little self-defense moment. "Why do you wear these? You don't even need them."

I snatch them away from him. "I need them, see?" I lie. The truth is, I don't need them at all. They're just as he said: useless.

They were originally for disguising purposes, but I just got used to wearing them instead.

"I dunno, girls find them attractive," I say, giving Samuel a smirk. Delta crosses my mind, and I consider telling him about her—without mentioning her work or last night—when I spot Logan across the field.