Chapter 5

Charlotte POV

My consciousness was a blazing inferno as the heat scathed me from the inside out. I attempted to cry out as the heat intensified but to no avail for my words were silent to the world.

I weakly drifted through the overpowering heat, my pleas for salvation unheard.

Yet through it all, I felt a presence anchoring me to the world of reality, strong yet quiet filling all the gaps in my being and reassuring the chaos in my mind.

I stayed in the burning fiery depths of my consciousness for who knows how long. Seconds, days, or maybe even years.

The silent presence sometimes the only thing preserving my sanity until I reached a peaceful dark state, my worries soothed and resolved, fading into oblivion.

Unknown POV

I sat by the bed nervously twiddling my thumbs as I watched Charlotte toss and turn restlessly. She had been burning up for 6 hours straight now and I hadn't gotten a wink of sleep.

I rubbed my eyes groggily and felt her forehead again. She was still burning up! I went onto the deck and called Argus. "Set our course to Sark and fetch me several buckets of water and a washtub." I ordered.

He quickly brought over the washtub and proceeded to fill it with water. I went over to the bedside and lifted Charlotte into my arms and laid her in the wash tub, leaving her dirty garments on her.

I dumped some cold water in the tub from Argus and she moaned, perspiration dripping from her brow. I gently took a cloth and scrubbed her hair until it shone golden, the water turning red.

Then I carefully cleaned her wounds and rinsed them. I checked her temperature and found that she had cooled down but not enough.

"I hope she doesn't wake up for this!" I thought. I brought my hand down to the bucket of water and felt its temperature, slowly decreasing it and manipulating it,  freezing the water until it was snow but not frozen solid.

I rubbed the snow on her skin and felt her cool off. I kept her in the ice bath for another fifteen minutes until she stayed cool.

After drying her off, i brought her over to the bed and laid her down again, watching over her and silently memorizing her features. I heard the crew members gaily coming back on board, probably drunk. But, I was too tired to care. Drowsiness overcame me and I slipped into slumber.

Later

I woke with a start as Charlotte let out a piercing shriek. She thrashed around in her bed, drenched in sweat, her fear evident on her face. I shook her. "Charlotte wake up!! It's just a nightmare!"

Charlotte POV

I was floating in the beautiful tranquil ocean, no troubles or worries to be seen.

I sighed as I touched the cold water until it grew freezing and I shivered as the ocean froze and became snow.

Then it gently thawed and I soaked up the heat from the sun, basking in the glorious weather until gradually I got hotter and hotter.

My skin began to burn and drops of sweat beaded down my forehead. I wiped them off and fanned myself.

The heat kept on building until it was practically unbearable.

I fervently hoped I would just fade away from the pain but I was trapped in a burning inferno.

My vision became red and I realized that the ocean was a bright crimson and the smell of iron flooded my nostrils.

I involuntarily shuddered when I realized it was blood. A yellow rotting hand reached out and grabbed my ankles and pulled me under.

I fought to stay up but I was dragged under the surface. The thick blood, flooding my mouth as I screamed, suffocating me. The smell of iron filling my nostrils and making me inwardly cringe. The infernal heat possessing me to thrash and convulse.

I struggled for what seemed to be eternity until I felt a pair of hands grab my shoulders and vigorously shake me.

Back and forth. Back and forth. "Open your eyes" a voice whispered in my head over and over.

I felt my surroundings change with a start but all I could see was red. I trembled and felt strong warms envelope me and my vision finally returned.

I quickly surveyed my surroundings and found that I was in a quaint little cabin in what appeared to be a ship.

The arms let go of me and I found myself staring into electric blue eyes, a startled yet cold expression in them.