"She hasn't called you or texted you or anything? That's weird. Normally Luna is really social and active."

"Yeah, I don't know either. I can call her after we hang up or something," he offered. "But Dri, I have to say that I do agree with her."

"You think so?"

"You know how my relationship with your boyfriend's been...it's mostly rocky because we don't see eye-to-eye. And a lot of the time when we disagree or feel protective, it's because of you; because we both care. I'm doin' my best to hold back around him, and I get a feeling he is too, but sometimes I can't help but feel you choose him over us."

"Do you really?" I whispered.

"Yeah but I can't blame you. I know when you find someone like that, you think the only thing that matters is them."

I cut him off briskly, hurt. "Devon, Marshall isn't the most important person in my life. I never placed him in that position, and I won't. You and Luna mean just as much as he does, if not more."

He sighed heavily. "Dri. You know I just want you to be happy. And if you want a little bit more space because away from me because of Marshall or whatever, I can deal with that because it means you're still going to be happy. But it doesn't mean I'll be okay with it. Luna wants you to be happy too, I know that for sure. But she wants to be a part of your life as well."

I echoed his deep sigh, my mind muddled. "So what the fuck do I do, Dev? Ever since I've gotten with Marshall, my relationships with you and Luna have been rocky."

What he said next surprised me.

"Don't leave him, Adrienne. Don't you dare leave him. I know you love him, and he loves you too. I see how he looks at you, and I knew then I had to give up. Don't leave him because you feel like you have no other option to keep us. You do, trust me. You know I'll always be here because I want to be here and I know shit with Luna will work out. We really don't have any other people to be with."

It took me a little to regain my breath. "Thank you."

"You're welcome."

I knew then he still liked me. He still liked me in that intimate way, and I wished and hoped and prayed that instant that it would stop, for all of our sake's. Our friendship had become a twisted love triangle without us even realizing it.

"I should probably go now," I said softly, gripping the phone in my slick palm.

"Yeah same. I'm going to call Luna and tell her to talk to you."

"Thank you, Dev."

"No problem. Bye, Dri."

And he was gone, just like that. I felt a little dazed, and at a lack of better things to do, I got up and started up the loads of dirty laundry I had yet to wash. After that was done and taken care of, I dressed, ran a few errands, and returned home. Around sevenish, I'd had enough. Luna and I were playing a game, a game that would prove which needed the other the most and who's spirit would be broken first, and even though my ego liked to be kept respectably high, I wasn't about to act like everything was alright.

I dialed her number before I could think twice, gnawed at my bottom lip, and did all I could do to stay together.

She picked up only a split second before it went to voice-mail.

"Hello?"

"Luna," was all I said.

"Adrienne?" Her voice wavered a little bit, as if she was astounded. She hadn't expected me to call so soon.