Chapter 54- Hesitation

Your author! Is now! Fifteen!! Hehe ^^ Enjoy the chapter

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Miyuki twirled her pen absentmindedly. She was currently sitting in maths class, but with all the studying she had completed over the break, Miyuki found that she was actually ahead of the class. While her classmates struggled with the new material, she worked through the questions that her teacher had set quite easily. Of course, Miyuki had been demoted from the accelerated class for her third year after her eventful second year. Although she had been upset and isolated at first, she now felt rather comfortable in the lower class, with Kagami and her twin brother.

However, Ishikawa Azusa was starting to cause problems.

Miyuki snapped out of her daze as the bell rang. The cheerful conversations from her classmates reminded her that school had ended, and she dashed down to the change-rooms to prepare for training. She was the first to arrive at the gym, so she grabbed a ball and shot a few three-pointers from the centre, before the door creaked open.

"Ishikawa-san? What are you doing?"

"Oh, I thought that Fusako would be here! I'll just wait here until she comes, okay?"

Miyuki shrugged, but let her stay. Within the next few minutes, the entire team arrived, and soon she had them all split back into the two groups from the previous day, and resumed where they had left off. This time, Miyuki decided to join the match, and successively subbed on and off members so that they all had an equal chance.

"Look out!"

In confusion, Miyuki turned to see a big, orange spherical shape smack her in the temple. Groaning, she fell to the floor, images coming in and out of focus.

"Oops! I am so sorry! The ball just happened to slip from my fingers!"

Miyuki saw her team members surround her, and she immediately tried to sit up, not wanting to worry anyone. As she did so, her head pounded terribly, but she dug her fingernails into her palm to resist emitting any sound of pain.

"I'm okay. Come on, we're wasting time. Go back to your places."

Miyuki got to her feet, and saw Ishikawa grinning at the edge of the crowd.

"Oi!" yelled Kagami. "That was not cool. Get out of here."

"Oh? Kagami-kun, what on earth are you talking about?" 

"Ishikawa-san, I advise that you leave. There are over thirty people here who do not want you here." said Kuroko calmly, taking control.

"Tch. Whatever."

Ishikawa grabbed her bag and flaunted off.

"Are you really okay?"

It came to Miyuki's attention that she was using Katashi's arm as support, and she hurriedly let go. 

"Fine. It's cool. Now, come on people! Back to practice!"

The team continued practising until sundown.

"Good work everyone. I'm letting you off a bit early today since you're all doing great. Make sure to cool down properly."

With cheers of exhaustion and delight, her teammates all headed off to cool down individually. 

"Holy-"

Miyuki bit back the profanity that was about to erupt from her mouth as something freezing cold pressed against her temple.

"Have you seen the colours of that thing? It's like you smashed all the colours of the Generation of Miracles' hair. And it's massive!"

Thankfully, Miyuki took the ice wrapped in her towel from Katashi, and noticed that its coolness seemed to have diminished the throbbing slightly.

"For a non-sports club member, that was a pretty strong throw though." noted Katashi.

"She's in the wind ensemble. Have you seen how strong some of them are?"

Katashi and Miyuki separated temporarily to change, and afterwards they were joined by Kagami and Kuroko.

"Whoa!"

"I know, I know. The side of my head is rainbow-coloured."

"Miyuki-san!"

"Crap! Run!"

At the sound of Fusako's voice, Katashi grabbed Miyuki's hand and proceeded to run as fast as they could. Thumping footsteps behind told them that Kuroko and Kagami were close. When they reached Miyuki and Kuroko's house, Katashi slammed the door shut, locked it, and collapsed on the sofa.

"Why did we run?" panted Miyuki. "It was only Fusako-san. Not Ishika-"

"When one is there, the other one is bound to appear sooner or later."

"Saito-san has her good points, but how is she friends with someone like Ishikawa-san?" snorted Katashi in absurdity.

"She is way too dense. She doesn't see past the mask that Ishikawa puts on." said Kagami.

Kuroko bit his lip. "If it goes any further, I think you should ask for a transfer back to the accelerated class. You'll be back to your level for academics, and plus, you'll be away from Ishikawa-san and Fusako-san."

"What? But I like being in class with you and Kagami."

"You'll have me at least. It'll be like old times." said Katashi.

"Okay... But can we give it a little longer? A few weeks? Something might happen, and I might not have to leave the class."

"Two weeks." said Kuroko firmly.

"Yeah... Well, you two should go home now." 

Kagami and Katashi both left the house, and Miyuki went upstairs to go to her own room. After a few hours of laying in bed, wide awake, she had a sudden brain wave. Tip toeing across the hallway, Miyuki checked to see if her brother was asleep. Judging from the soft snoring, he was. She crept out of the house, still in her school uniform, and headed towards the police station.

When she arrived, she headed straight towards the person at the front desk.

"Is Sekiguchi-san here?" 

"Sekiguchi? Sekiguchi Ayako?"

Miyuki nodded, and the person pointed her towards a door on the right at the very end of the corridor. She knocked on the door, and a gentle voice told her to come in.

"Miyuki? Something wrong?"

The tired looking police officer looked up from her computer, surrounded by messy piles of paper.

"Oh... Was I interrupting something?"

"Nothing important. Come, sit down. There must be something on your mind."

Miyuki sat down, and after a moment's hesitation, she blurted out everything that had happened with Fusako and Ishikawa.

"I see. I think that all we can do at the moment is let things happen."

"That's it?"

"Yes. I'm sorry you came all the way here to just hear that."

"It's fine. I think you saying that made me feel more sure about the future."

"I'm glad to hear that. And how have you been coping? It has only been two months since we last saw each other."

Images of Akashi in pain, and a dark warehouse flashed through her mind. "I'm fine. I try not to think about it."

"Sometimes it's better to not hold it back. You might feel more refreshed if you let your thoughts and memories flow freely."

Miyuki nodded. "I'll get going now. Thanks."

"Would you like me to drive you back? It's already 1 o'clock in the morning."

"It's fine. The night air might clear my mind."

Miyuki bid the policewoman farewell, promising to bring a thank you gift.

Miyuki woke up the next day, feeling a sense of foreboding. And it only grew when she read the note on her desk before class, which was summoning her to the PE storeroom after school.