Chapter 3

Henry cleared his throat, breaking up our little father daughter moment.

“Thank you for bringing her, Henry.” Dad said in a gracious voice.

“You’re welcome, sir. I’ll just be going now.”

With that said, I waved goodbye as Henry walked down the street and Dad picked up my luggage to bring into the flat.

“Are you coming?” My father said from the other side of the doorway. Without saying anything, I walked through the doorway and into my new home. There are no words in the English language that could fully describe my father’s house.  It kind of seemed like his personality threw up on everything. On the inside, it looked like one of those small town English cottages that you see in movies, but with the benefit of modern day luxuries. I don’t know how long I stood in the small foyer, but my thoughts were pulled from me too soon. “I hope you don’t mind, but I moved my library from the top floor down to my office, so the whole top floor is yours. It was an attic when I first bought the house, but it looks really good now. When your stuff came the other day, I went ahead and put it up there.”

“Thanks, Dad. I think I’m just going to go unpack.” Sadness crept back into my voice. Mom’s death was still hitting me pretty hard. It has only been a week since the funeral. She’s gone. There’s no point in crying any more tears over her. The little voices inside my head consoled me as I began to walk up the worn stairs, both of my suitcases in hand.

The second floor was similar to the first, but with a little hallway surrounding the stairwell. The molding above the doorways named each room. ‘Dormitory’ floated above what I’m guessing is my father’s bedroom.  Dad’s office was cleverly named ‘the lamp post.’ I poked my head into the bathroom and found it was amazing. Once inside, it took me awhile to leave. Finally, I exited the room to discover it was named ‘throne room.’ A quiet chuckle escaped my lips as I moved to the next door. ‘Limbo.’ Curiously, I opened the door to see a completely vibrant white, three by five, room. On the wall opposite the door, a note was taped.

You can never escape… INSEPTION!

Closing the door quickly, I turned and saw three steps leading to another door. ‘Tardis.’ My smile grew wider as I opened the police box doors. Yeah, Dad got actual replicas of the door.  More stairs lead to what I assume to be my room. I climbed the flight of stairs to find an open room. This had to be the biggest room in the house. A mattress lay on the floor in the far corner with a wall of boxes in the opposite corner. Sighing, I placed my bags down to explore a little before confronting my dad. There was only one door in my room. As I approached, I noticed what it was labeled. ‘LOUis.’Opening the door, my eyes saw a normal sized bathroom. No. Possible. Way. I had my own bathroom! Ok, point for dad.

I walked into the kitchen where I saw my dad trying to make spaghetti.

“Hey, Dad. Why is there no furniture in ‘Tardis’ and what are you doing???” Stress was present in his face. His hair was messier than before. Don’t tell me that he can’t cook pasta.

“I’m making you a home cooked meal.”

“By cooking with the force? I don’t think that’s going to get you very far.” He smiled at my laughter. “Why don’t we cook together?” Dad’s face lit up like a brand new light bulb. “Do you have any hamburger meat?”

“Uh….no.”

“I’ll make a list and we can go grocery shopping. Then we can make dinner.”

+=_=+

Dad and I rode in his old land rover to the store. Since I discovered he almost always ordered take out, the pantry needed to be stocked. He held the door open for me and I walked in and picked a cart. First is produce, where Dad asks the difference between red and white onions. ‘Google it,’ is my response. As we continued down the aisles, Dad asks stupid questions that only men would ask and my response stays the same.

“If you tell me to ‘Google it’ again, I will not help with dinner.” His meek threat brought a smile to my lips.

“If you don’t help, then will you watch me cook you the best meal you’ve had in weeks?”

“Sure.” He looked at me, doubting my skills. “If you impress me, I’ll take you furniture shopping tomorrow.” I looked at him grinning.

“You were going to take me either way so, sure.”

“Then it’s a bet.”

Sincerely,

Carsyn Lee Fish

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Hey Guys! Hope you liked the chapter. Sorry it's kinda short, or at least I think so. I PROMISE SOMETHING'S GONNA HAPPEN SOON!!!!