(29) You Make Things.. Interesting

I made my way to the Gryffindor common room alone. Hermione was off to her other classes while Harry and Ron went to the Great Hall for snacks. I told them that I would meet up with them later since I had extra classes myself. I entered the portrait hole and quickly went up to the girls dormitory to grab my advanced classes stuff.

"Shoot, I think I'm going to be late." I muttered to myself as I dumped my books on my bed and grabbed my 4th year ones. "Thank god I accepted the time turner." I said, grabbing on to the gold pendant on my chest.

        I put my bag around my shoulder and headed down the stairs. I reached the bottom of the stairs and was automatically enveloped in a hug.

"Hey, Leah!" Fred said laughing as I struggled in his grasp. "We haven't seen you in a while!"

"Fr-Fred! A-air!" I muffled in his chest.

Fred let go of me and ruffled my hair. Why do they always do that?

"But seriously.. we haven't seen you in a while." I looked up at a half smiling George.

"What in Merlin's beard are you two talking about?" I said smacking them playfully in the arm. "I saw you two this morning, remember?"

"Hardly." they both say in unison.

"You didn't eat with us." Fred said frowning.

"Or talk to us." George said trying to frown, but failed and ended up smirking.

"I SAID 'GOOD MORNING'!" I shouted as we laughed.

"Yeah, but.. it's just not the same." George said giving me a weak smile.

"You can't let Hermione tell you to stay away from us." Fred said crossing his arms.

"How did you.." I stopped mid-sentence because I knew.. Ginny.

George crossed his arms as well and they both glared at me. I smiled at my best friends and sighed.

"Even if I did listen to her, I still can't stay away from you two." I said, pretending to get teary-eyed. "I can't live without you."

        They both laughed and smirked at each other as they shook their heads. They stretched out their hands and I gladly hugged them both.

"A'right! Enough of this lovey-dovey rubbish." Fred said as we parted. "Let's get some food downstairs! George and I have a free period."

That's when I remembered that I was already late to class.. like REALLY late to class.

"Uhh.. I'll catch up with you later." I said running towards the portrait hole.

"Where you going?" George asked.

"Uh, I still have class!"

"Class? But 3rd years are done for-" I heard George say, but I was already out the door.

I ran to the nearest bathroom, checked if the coast was clear and took out the time turner.

"I'm only 40 minutes late." I muttered to myself. "One turn should do it." I said turning the gold pendant once.

        I watched as my surroundings blurred and spun. I thought I was going to be sick, but it wasn't as bad as apparating. A minute later, everything stopped and I heard a clock ring. I ran out the door and nearly bumped into a couple snogging in the hallway. I didn't even bother to say sorry since they were too into each other to notice.

        I headed towards the Charms classroom which was thankfully near. I entered the classroom just minutes before the class started and was greeted by bright hazel eyes.

"Hey! There you are!" Jai said walking towards me.

"Here I am." I coughed, trying to catch my breath. So much exercise today..

"Did yeh pick a fight with a Whomping Willow or something? You look horrible!" Jai laughed.

"Th-thanks." I said rolling my eyes as he took my bag.

"C'mon! I saved you a seat!" he said in his australian accent. Ok, it was kind of cute..

        I walked with Jai to the middle-right side of the classroom. I knew some of the Gryffindors since I see them in the common room and a few Slytherins from quidditch, but other than that, I didn't know anyone.

        I sat next to Jai and a blond Gryffindor boy with freckles all over his cheeks. I politely said hi and he smiled back. Ok, so far so good..

"Don't worry. You're not the only one who doesn't know everyone in here." Jai winked and I couldn't help but laugh.

"How are your other classes?" I asked.

"Ehh." he smirked as I nudged his shoulder.

"I'm trying to be nice here and you're making it very difficult!" I teased, making him laugh.

"They're a'wright, I guess. Kinda the same thing they teach back home."

"Well obviously.. magic is magic." I said as he made a 'duh' face. "I don't know what I would do without magic now."

"I think I can manage without it."

"Oh really?" I said raising my eyebrow.

"Yeah. I mean, don't you think some things are more fun  without magic." he said, giving me an amused smile.

"More fun without magic? Like what?"

"Like sneaking around." he said, smiling even bigger as he looked at my confused expression.

"I don't get it.."

"Think about it. If you want to prank someone with magic, it's way too easy to get away with it. Pranking without magic.. that's how you'll know how good you are. Sneaking around with spells or magical things to help you; no fun at all. I think the rush you feel when you know you might get caught is the best part about it all!"

        Wow.. that was brilliant. Even though he could be a little big headed, Jai really was smart. Well, it does take a smart person to be a prankster and he knew what he was talking about.

"I-I never thought about it that way." I said, smiling at him. "For once, I agree with you."

"See." he said, tapping his temple with his index finger. "Genius." he said as I laughed.

"Yeah, don't get it over your head." I said, nudging him again.

"I may look like I don't care, but I can be smarter than you, Granger."

"Says the guy who's sitting next to a 3rd year girl in a 4th year class." I teased, making him laugh even more.

"True." he smirked. "That's one of the things I love about you."

I looked at him surprised. One of the things he loves about me?

"What's that?" I asked.

"You may be a nerd.." he started as I gave him a glare, but it only made him smile bigger. "But you're interesting."

"Interesting?" I huffed.

"I don't know. I feel like even if I'd known you for years, I would still be surprised by you." he said, smiling softer. "You have so many sides to you. Sassy, shy, frustrated, smart...ass." I glared at him, but he just laughed. "But then there's also the fun and funny teasing you. Competitive. Every time I'm with you, I can't leave without laughing. You always make things interesting."

        I stared into those hazel eyes and took in what he just said. He can't do this. He can't be this nice to me and actually mean it. I felt a little knot it my stomach.. but it was a good kind of knot.

"Thanks.." I said smiling up at him. "but you're still a git." I teased and Jai laughed.

We both settled in our seats just as Professor Flitwick entered the room.