(39) More Than Just a Couple of Months

George's POV

It was a beautiful, clear morning when I woke up. There was only a week left of the year and I still haven't made up with Leah.

"Stupid." I muttered. "Why can't I just approach her? I've done it a million times for Merlin's sake!"

I covered myself with my blanket and sighed. The thought of Evans getting her haunted me for days. I hardly got any sleep and I would bet you a galleon, I had big, dark circles around my eyes.

"Bloody hell." I said as I jumped out of bed. "Today's the day. I'll do it! I'll explain everything to her. I-I'll tell her I like her. YEAH!"

    I grabbed my things and headed out the door to the showers.

"Leah.. I-I LIKE YOU-" I said as the door slammed on my face.

"Woah, mate! Don't get your knickers in a knot, I'm your brother!" Fred said, smirking as he wiggled his eyebrows.

I grabbed my nose in pain as I tried to punch Fred with my other hand which he obviously blocked.

"Georgieee!" Fred said as he locked my head in his arm and started to mess up my hair. "You're all grown up it's making me cry!" he teased as I got out of his grip and bolted out the door.

***

I sat down across Fred, Angelina and Alicia and next to Lee and Katie at breakfast. As I sat down, Fred wiggled his eyebrows at me. Oh, how I wish I could just smack him across his face.

"Good morninggg." Fred greeted as I started to pile up my plate with food.

    I looked at him with an annoyed look and started to angrily eat my toast.

"What did you do?" I heard Angelina whisper to Fred, but I didn't mind them.

I looked over to the other side of the table, looking for Leah, but she was no where to be found.

Neville, Dean, Seamus, Ron, Harry, Hermione.. where are you Leah?

I faintly saw a patch of red hair pass by behind me and I instantly bolted out of my seat to catch her.

"Ginny!" I said, grabbing her arm.

"Blimey, George! You scared me!" Ginny said looking severely annoyed. "What do you want?"

"Have you seen-" I started.

"Leah?" she said, smirking. "What's in it for me?"

I gave a big sigh as I rolled my eyes.

"Why can't you just do your devishly handsome brother a favor?" I said, putting on my best smile.

"Sorry, that doesn't work on me." she said as she turned to leave.

"Alright, alright!" I said grabbing her arm again. "What do you want?"

"Ten firecrackers."

"TEN firecrackers? Do you know how much one costs?" I said.

"Take it or leave it." Ginny smiled, crossing her arms.

"FINE!" I said rolling my eyes. "I'll give it to you tonight."

"I saw her headed to the black lake. Most likely she's going to draw." Ginny said as she walked to her friends.

    I headed towards to door, but was suddenly grabbed by my arm.

"Where are you off to in such a hurry? It's the weekend for Merlin's sake." Lee said as the rest of them looked at me like I was a mad man, except Fred.

Before I could think of an excuse, Fred laughed.

"Leave him alone, Lee. He forgot to turn in his potions homework yesterday." Fred lied.

"Blimey, you better get that in.. IF you can." Lee said as he let go.

    Without a second glance, I took off, out the door and towards the lake.

***

"Do you wanna go out with me?" I heard Evans ask Leah.

I felt myself froze. I was too late. I felt my hands ball up in fists. I found myself hiding behind a tree when I saw that Evans was with her. I didn't have the strength to just walk over there, but I didn't have the heart to just leave.

    I watched as Evans waited for her reply. She wasn't looking up at him. Leah.. please..

"Leah?" Evans said as Leah looked up at him.

"Hm?" Leah said, like she wasn't in the present for the past two minutes.

"So..? Will you?" he asked, giving her a weak smile.

"Will I what?" she said, too innocently.

"Will you go out with-"

"Blimey!" Leah said, suddenly standing up. "I forgot all about breakfast!"

Leah started to walk up the path towards the castle and I felt myself move back, my back touching the tree.

"Leah!" Evans said grabbing her arm as I peaked through a small hole in the tree. "Are you ignoring me?"

"Oh, silly me. Let's go to breakfast, Jai!" she said linking her arm with his.

"Leah.." he said grabbing her shoulders so that she could face him. "Is there something wrong with me?"

It was suddenly silent as he waited for her reply.

"No, Jai. There's nothing wrong with you." she finally said.

"Then, why are you ignoring my question?" he said staring right at her. "Is it because of Weasley?"

    She suddenly looked up at him and it was silent once again.

"N-No.." she said.

"Cause if it is, you don't have to worry.. we already have his best wishes."

I felt a piece of me break.

"W-What?" she asked, her voice quivering a little.

"When Weasley apologized, I told him how I felt about you and he wished us well. He hoped I could.. you know, be with you." he said as I felt myself grip on to the bark.

"H-He said that?" she said, almost in a whisper.

Evans nodded as Leah's shoulders went limp. He let go of her and even more silence filled the air. I felt the urge to head over there and tell her that I didn't mean it and that I wanted to be the one she was with, but..

"I-I'm sorry Jai, but I still won't go out with you." she said. "You've been one of my closest friends. You're a really great guy, Jai. I bet a lot of girls would want to be with you. They would be very lucky, but-"

"But, you like someone else?" he said as Leah's face went blank, except for her eyes that got bigger.

"I-I'm just not ready yet." she said as she pulled back a strand of her light brown hair behind her ear.

    Evans's face looked disappointed for a moment, but then he smiled.

"I really do care for you, Leah." he started. "If friendship is all you can offer me, then I'll take it in a heart beat. But I guess it's settled then. I"ll really miss you."

Leah smiled. "What are you talking about you goofball. We'll see each other again in a couple months, and we can owl each other during the summer."

"That's true about the owling, but I'm afraid we won't see each other for more than just a couple months." he said, his smile softening.

"What do you mean?" she asked, confused.

"I'm moving back to Australia for good."