Chapter Fourteen

Somehow, Hermione would never know how, Professor Snape had Malfoy back on his feet in time for the start of the week. Hermione entered Potions with dread and was shocked when she saw Malfoy's blonde hair and Harry's black hair together at the front of the classroom. Both boys looked up when they heard her enter.

"Hermione," Harry exclaimed, smiling.

"Granger," said Malfoy, dully. The light seemed to have gone out of his eyes; he stared almost blindly in her general direction.

"Miss Granger." Professor Snape's voice behind her made her jump. "Please sit behind Messrs. Potter and Potter."

Hermione nodded quickly and slid onto the bench behind the two Slytherins. Harry immediately turned round and began whispering to her.

"Have you seen Ron recently?" He asked. "He's been really miserable. I don't know why, though; he hasn't received a Howler yet." He lowered his voice even more. "And I'm worried about Draco. He seems really out of it. I don't think this re-sorting was the best idea."

Hermione shook her head.

"And especially with Umbridge here..." Her voice trailed off as the woman in question entered the classroom.

"Yes?" Asked Snape disdainfully. Even the grumpy Potions Master wasn't a fan of the pink toad.

Umbridge coughed authoritatively. "I'm here to interview you, Professor Snape. Where is your class?"

"On their way," replied Snape. Usually he wouldn't stick up for students who were a minute late already but he would do anything to have Umbridge out of his classroom.

Umbridge raised an eyebrow at the clock, saying nothing.

"The clock in the Great Hall is slightly behind," Hermione jumped in, surprising herself with the easy lie. "Whereas Professor Snape keeps a tight ship." She smiled tightly at both professors. Umbridge ground her teeth in frustration, meanwhile Snape looked as though he was sucking lemons.

"And you'd know all about that," Umbridge sneered, looking down her nose at Hermione. "With your background..."

"Enough!" Snapped Snape suddenly. Umbridge looked at him in shock. Snape gazed hard above the stout woman's head. Hermione was appreciative of the dour man's interference, but it seemed her conversation with him was causing his brilliant cover to unravel. She'd brought old, forgotten feelings to the surface; feelings of watching his wonderful, Muggleborn friend called names like the ones she was called.

*

Professor Umbridge consequently succeeded in driving Professor Snape up the wall and alienated all the students as she asked them irritating questions.

"So, why are you adding those things?" Umbridge asked Malfoy. "Do they have any special power?"

"It's Aconite," shrugged Malfoy.

"What does it do?" Umbridge questioned impatiently.

"Well, it's the same as monkshood, Professor," Malfoy said evenly.

Umbridge shuddered with rage and turned back to Professor Snape.

"Isn't Aconite used in the Wolfsbane Potion, Snape?"

"Yes," the professor answered quietly, worn out by her invasiveness.

"Well, we'll have to see it removed from the school curriculum then," Umbridge continued.

"They're brewing the Awakening Potion," Snape said calmly, refraining from rolling his eyes.

"So?"

"The Awakening Potion is used to keep the students and teachers alike from being wandering zombies in the mornings." Snape did roll his eyes this time, though Umbridge didn't see it.

Umbridge raised herself to her full height of a good head below the Potions Master and spoke in a dangerous voice.

"I was told, Professor, by Lucius Malfoy himself, that you would be especially forthcoming. Was he wrong?" Snape said nothing. "Or is your filthy blood infiltrating the wrong circles now?"

Professor Snape stared at the wall above the squat little toad's head.

"And what does that mean, Professor?" The title was added as an afterthought; a jibe to Umbridge's role as inquisitor.

"You know what it means, Snape. I would advise you to stay on the Ministry's side. After all your previous endeavours..."

Umbridge tailed off, smiling wickedly, knowing that she'd made her mark. Professor Snape continued as though nothing had happened but his shoulders remained tense until the pink atrocity had left the room.

*****

A.N. Anyone notice the Endeavour pun? Anyone? @sleepy_jpg? 

Umbridge returns to ruin the day! 

Also, Wattpad kind of copied this chapter and put it between chapters 10 and 11 so if anybody sees something strange, be sure to tell me. :)

Next up: Hermione confronts Draco. What will happen? Read on to find out!

Thank you for reading!