Chapter Four

"It's still so strange wearing green and silver," Harry admitted, fingering his tie. "I loved red and gold for four years and now I'm green and silver; the very uniform I detested for four years."

"I'm pretty sure that was partly because I was in Slytherin," Draco smiled.

"Yeah," Harry nodded. "You tormented me. I thought you would be in Gryffindor with me. But you weren't."

"I had to live up to the Malfoy name. Lucius gave up on you because you were The Boy Who Lived, and after I offered you a chance to get away from Weaslebee, you went to Gryffindor with Weaslebee." He grimaced. "But now we're all in the right houses. And the Weasel is in Hufflepuff, where he deserves."

"I liked Ron for his humour," Harry pointed out, "not for his brains."

"His brains are non-existent," Draco snapped. "He was a mere shell. I've heard that the Weasley twins (I've no idea what their names are) _"

"_Fred and George," Harry put in.

"_have disowned him. They knew he was stupid, but they didn't think he would join the duffers in Hufflepuff. So they're pretending he's a stranger now."

"He's got Neville," Harry mentioned. "They like each other... enough."

Draco slumped on the sofa, watching the lake's occupants swim around through the green-tinted windows. Harry was looking at him curiously.

"You know Draco," he began, "I thought you had become Lucius. You were nasty and cruel, and you hate Mudbloods, and Blood Traitors, and you're always going on about 'Father this, and Father that". Have you forgotten who our true father is?"

Draco stood up suddenly, his fists clenched. "Why does everyone compare me to him? I know you hate the Muggles you live with, but they're honestly better than him. At least they don't have magic."

"I'm sorry, Draco," Harry said at once. "I forgot about... that. I guess I should be lucky I've got a home, I guess."

Draco snorted, intently eyeing Moaning Myrtle, who happened to be outside the window, waving to both him and Harry. "Yes, you're lucky," he sighed at last. "I know what I've seemed on the outside, and despite my spite towards Mudbloods and Blood Traitors, I would do anything now to have those Muggles as my guardians, even though they hate magic. I would do anything."

"Surely Mother knows you are unhappy," Harry inquired.

"Of course," Draco replied. "But she is too, and scared, like me, of Lucius. It is a manor of cowards; that's all that is left. And because Father is out more, both with the ministry, and his Death Eater friends, it is a shell of its former grandeur."

"I try to escape in the summer holidays," Harry told Draco. "I stay with the Weasleys. Now, I guess, I'll have no-one to stay with. Unless Hermione says something, but she's never offered: Ron has always invited Hermione and me. I've always wondered why no other Weasleys bring friends home, as Ron brings two, but maybe they're fine with that. Fred and George have each other, and Ginny is happy playing with them, or Hermione."

"Must be nice," Draco imagined aloud. "Staying with a happy family, and happy yourself to be with them, instead of virtually under house arrest, and staying alone and unhappy."

"Draco, I'm sure we could do something..."

Draco waved a hand. "We can sort that out later. Tell me about this dream."

Harry supplied Draco with all the details that he hadn't shared with anyone else: about the door and the corridor, and feeling, it seemed, like he was miles away while dreaming.

"Mm," Draco mused. "Interesting. I'll ask Professor Snape; it could, somehow, be Legilimency."

"What's that?"

"Legilimency?" Draco looked at Harry's interested face. "It's when you have your mind invaded by someone so they can see your thoughts, feelings, memories, everything really. I think Professor Snape said something along the lines of 'external penetration' and 'the ability to extract feelings and memories from another person's mind'. The intruder must, unless they have an unusual aptitude for it (the Dark Lord for example), have eye contact, and the person who is having their mind effectively searched must repel the intrusive force with Occlumency; clearing their mind of anything, to resist. Legilimency is rather Dark magic, and Occlumency, though Light, is immensely difficult to perfect. You may have had your memory wiped and so you knew of the door, but couldn't see it until the Legilimency broke the Memory Charm and retrieved the lost memories from your subconscious.

Harry was searching Draco's face. He wondered how his twin had remembered Snape's words, unless he was some kind of male Hermione. He did sound like it. "You've had it used on you, then. I can tell." Draco's eyes betrayed a flicker of emotion. "Whom by? How many times, if it is so Dark?"

Draco appeared embarrassed; his face had turned a rare crimson. "A few days ago, Umbridge used it briefly to tell if I was lying: I was, so I earned detention. Lucius uses it relatively often, but less powerfully; better minds than mine have crumbled under the weight of an intruder's intense probing. Have you had problems with Umbridge?"

"She doesn't believe Voldemort's back." Draco shuddered at the name. "I've already been given a week of detentions. You said Umbridge has given you detention? What were you made to write?"

"What were you made to write?" Draco insisted.

"I must not tell lies, apparently," Harry said idly, showing Draco the scars on his hand. They had faded to a dull pink. Draco made to hesitate. Harry sensed this and added, "I'm your brother, Draco. Show me."

Draco slowly pulled up his right sleeve. His arm was red raw, and shiny, and circled around his arm up to his shoulder was:

I asked to have these of my many imperfections inscribed upon myself.

I am disloyal.

I am dishonest.

I am a failure.

I do not help.

I hinder.

I let down my family name.

I am unwanted.

I am hated.

I am unloved.

I should not disrespect my stepfather's wishes.

I should never speak of my biological parents again.

I will continue to be punished to perfect the image I must uphold.