Chapter Twenty-Three

Kuroko

The hallways were silent because no one said a single word. We waited for Kise in the waiting room, hoping to receive good news about his team captain. I've always known that there was something wrong about him, and Kise did mentioned that he had a broken bone somewhere, but I never knew it could be this bad.

The blond boy appeared at the doorstep and I instantly got on my feet, Kagami mimicked my actions seconds later. Kise had a relaxed smile on his face, but his eyes were red and teary. I pulled him into a hug without saying a word, because I knew the only thing he wanted - and needed - was comfort.

Kise sighed in my arms before pulling away, the smile still remained on his pale face. He must've caught my worried expression, because he chuckled and started ruffling my already messy hair.

"You don't have to worry, Kuroko," He said softly, making me worry more. "Kasamatsu senpai is fine. He's not worried, so we shouldn't worry too. I'm sure he'll be alright. He's a tough one after all."

"I'm glad that you're all here to support him," He continued, making eye contact with everyone in the room. One by one they stood up and gave him a hug. Kise almost teared up again at the sudden comfort. "It's good to have you guys here. Thank you."

"You're being too polite," Midorima sighed, shaking his head a little. "That's not like you, and it's creeping me out a bit."

"Well, how can I not? You're missing your games just for me."

"For your captain." Aomine corrected, but a small smile played on his lips. Kise chuckled again before wrapping his arms around the tanned boy.

Kagami remained silent next to me, but I didn't blame him. We were having a friendly match with our other friends when the call came suddenly, and I had no choice but to leave the team. Kagami insisted on tagging along, just in case, since he knew how much I hated hospitals. It still scared me until now, but I tried not to let it get to me. Kise and his captain are my priorities now, a little fear can be excused.

"Why isn't Aka-chin here?" Murasakibara sounded at one corner. To my surprise, he wasn't munching on any junk food like any other days. Instead, he was sitting alone in the corner, eyes glued to the ground, and for a moment he looked like a lost kid, ready to burst into tears in any moment.

"I tried contacting him," Kise's voice was small and he sat on the nearest seat. "But it seems so hard to reach him ever since we parted ways."

"Can we not let him bother us?" Aomine huffed in annoyance. "He's the least of our worries right now."

He was right, though I couldn't blame Kise and Murasakibara for being like that. Akashi was our team captain, and also one of our closest friend. But ever since he snapped, I don't even know whether to call him my teammate anymore. Not even a friend, because maybe he wasn't one in the first place.

Kagami seemed confused to who we were talking about, so I whispered to him, telling him I'll explain everything back home. He nodded his head without saying a word, then sat down next to me, quietly fiddling with his fingers. Something was definitely bothering him, so I guess we'll have another talk once we're back home and alone.

"He'll bE fiNe, riGht, KisE?" One of Kise's teammate said, his voice cracking at the end. Kise smiled and nodded his head.

"He will. I'm sure he will."

When it was time for some of us to leave, I gave Kise another hug and told him to update me if there's any progress. He agreed and told me to be safe as Kagami and I left the waiting room. The Kaijo team stayed behind, since it's their captain who was going on a surgery.

Aomine and Kagami made a brief eye contact before he went on his own way, and I felt a little bit sad for some reason. At least a goodnight or a goodbye from him would've been nice.

Once we're alone, Kagami intertwined our hands and he gave it a gentle squeeze.

"I don't know why I'm acting this way," He told me. "You must've noticed it."

"I did," I nodded my head. "You're not usually like this, so it's bothering me a little. Is something wrong, Kagami-kun?"

"No, it's stupid, but I can't help myself from thinking too much," He sighed and let go of my hand. I felt a strange emptiness after that, but I didn't hold his hand. I only let it swing by my side, hoping he would connect our hands again. Unfortunately, he didn't.

"It seems like you would drop anything for your Teiko friends," Kagami swallowed the lump in his throat and somehow I knew where this was going. I've experienced this more than enough to know. "And sometimes I wonder, will you do the same for me?"

"Of course I will." I answered.

"I sure hope so." He replied coldly, and increased our distance. "What would you do if I told you to stay? Instead of going to the hospital because I know damn well how much you hate them."

"You wouldn't say that," I defended myself and stopped on my tracks. Kagami turned around to face me, eyes blazing with anger and sadness. "You know how much they mean to me, Kagami-kun."

"Then what am I to you?"

"You're -" I struggled. Why was I struggling? "You're..."

"You can't even answer that, can you?" He scoffed painfully, shaking his head in disappointment. "You don't even know the answer to that."

"You know I love you." I whimpered.

"I know alright," He weakly smiled. "But do you? Do you know that I'm the one you love? Or is Aomine still in that soft spot of yours?"

"Kagami-kun -"

"Don't talk to me," He blurted before turning away and leaving. "I need to be alone. See you."

And I felt my heart breaking into millions of pieces.