Chapter Four

Kuroko

I had trouble answering him. Well, it wasn't because I didn't want to, but I myself didn't know the answer. Did we got together? I couldn't really remember. What happened to us was painful, and I'd forced myself to forget everything. Thinking about it now still upset me, maybe that was the reason why I couldn't answer Kagami earlier.

My chest squeezed tightly and I flinched. I shouldn't be feeling this way, right? After all, I've moved on. He probably did the same too. These few months of not seeing each other was hell, but then I realised there wasn't any reason for me to see him anymore.

"I'm sorry about earlier," Kagami apologised softly as we walked down the streets to the station. "I wasn't thinking. I'm sorry."

I shook my head. "It's okay, Kagami-kun. I'd probably ask the same thing if I were you."

"But it's weird, isn't it? For me to ask such question. I mean, you probably don't swing that way. So if I did hurt your feelings, Kuroko, I'm really sorry."

"It's okay."

Our conversation ended, then, and Kagami remained silent until we parted ways. Sure, I told him I was fine, but somehow there was this depressing feeling inside. I didn't like it, not at all. I shouldn't feel sad.

"Kurokocchi?"

I glanced up in confusion, meeting a familiar head of gold.

"It really is you," Kise gasped softly, then made his way towards me. "It's really you, Kurokocchi!"

"It's good to see you again, Kise-kun." I smiled.

He only chuckled, shaking his head in the process. "Still as polite as usual, huh? Well, it's you after all. What are you doing here at this time? Didn't school ended a long time ago?"

"I got distracted. I'm about to head home, though." I answered, looking around.

Kise smiled, then wrapped an arm around my shoulder. "No, no. Now that I'm here, let's catch up, shall we? Let's get something to eat. My treat."

• • •

"Are you alright?" He surprised me with that question, and I can't help but widened my eyes a little.

"Yeah, I am."

Kise frowned, then placed his chin one of his hand. "Are you sure, though? I noticed you with some red-headed guy, and you looked very upset."

Then his eyes widened, and he slammed the table, earning glares and glances from the other customers.

"He did something, right? That jerk made you upset! Where is he? What's his name? I swear if I see him I'll —"

"Kise-kun, calm down," I smiled apologetically to the annoyed customers, murmuring an apology to most of them. "He didn't do anything to me, and he's Kagami-kun. He's a friend, don't worry."

Kise groaned in frustration, then leaned back against his seat. It's been a while since I've seen him, and I noticed he'd grew a lot. Plus, he looked more mature now, compared to when we were still in Teiko.

"Stop staring at me, Kurokocchi," He rolled his eyes playfully. "You're making me uncomfortable."

"Sorry." I blushed.

He hummed while picking at his food, then spoke again. "But tell me, honestly. Were you upset earlier? Was something bothering you? I'm worried, you know."

This was one of the things that I liked about Kise. Despite being playful and annoying sometimes, he actually had a caring side. It was nice knowing someone cared for you, and that they'll do whatever it takes to cheer you up. That was Kise for me. He was a good friend, a shoulder to cry on, and a brother.

"I was," I admitted softly. "I was upset."

A frown formed on his face, and the worried look was back. He gently patted my head, hoping it could calm me down. I couldn't, though, and I found myself tearing up again.

It hurts. It really hurts.

"It's Aomine, isn't it?"

I nodded my head.

"Did you talk to him since that day?"

I shook my head. More tears flowed down my cheeks, and I tried my best not to let out a sob. People would get the wrong idea if they notice me crying in a restaurant booth with Kise in front of me. They'll think badly of him, then.

"Sometimes I think maybe he was only playing with my feelings. Maybe he was only saying that, so I would let him do whatever he wanted." I croaked.

"You don't know the truth, Kurokocchi. Aomine's probably having a bad time too, we definitely don't know for sure," Kise answered. "It's been a long time. Why don't you go meet him one day? Try to talk things down and settle the problem."

I shook my head violently. "I can't, Kise-kun. I can't see him. I don't want to see him."

"..."

"It'll hurt more if I see him, and I'm sure he doesn't want to see me either."

Kise sighed, then ruffled my hair one last time. "Okay."

He offered to walk me back home that night, but I politely refused. After all, I needed some time alone. Meeting him again was nice, though what happened next was quite disappointing. Thinking about it now, I realised Kise was the only one who've seen me cry.

I glanced up at the night sky and let out a heavy sigh. My eyes were swollen from all the crying, and I gently blinked. Maybe, just maybe, there was a reason why this happened.

Maybe there was a reason why I joined Teiko's basketball team. Maybe there was a reason why Aomine and I became close. Maybe there was a reason why he left, and maybe there was a reason why Kagami entered my life.

After all, everything happens for a reason, right?

I laughed to myself, realising how stupid I sounded.

It's been a long day, Tetsu. You need some rest.

I weakly smiled, remembering his words to me when we trained like mad people during the summer break.

Yeah, I'm tired.